AALRR attorneys have provided services and counsel on the full range of issues related to charter schools since their inception in California in 1992. Our specialists are tireless advocates for our school district and county office clients in all aspects of charter school law. We regularly guide our clients through the process of analyzing and acting on charter petitions at the initial level and on appeal, and we counsel charter school authorizing entities regarding the full range of charter oversight and monitoring issues and requests for facilities. We offer expert advice on charter school renewal and revocation issues, and counsel COEs and districts interested in initiating dependent charter schools. We are well-versed in all matters related to the Charter School Act, responsibilities of charter school organizers and oversight agencies, and the myriad related issues that impact charter schools and oversight, including student rights and discipline, conflicts of interest, employment law, and open meeting laws. As state leaders in charter school law, our attorneys frequently speak to educational associations on charter issues.
As a natural component of our statewide leadership partnering with our public school clients in all areas of law, AALRR’s attorneys provide expertise in all aspects of the Charter Schools Act and the impact and interaction between school districts/county offices of education and charter schools. We provide the advice and assistance necessary for our clients to reduce potential risks and liabilities while achieving their aims relative to charter schools.
To view, download, or print AALRR's signature Legal Resource Guide on Charter Schools, which details key selections of the California Charter Schools Act and other selected laws and regulations, please click here.
Events & Speaking Engagements
- At Your Desk, SPRING 2022
Alerts & Articles
- California Attorney General Declares That Charter School Employees May Not Serve on a County Board of Education in the County Where Their Employing School Is Located11.09.2021
- CIF Northern Section Decides Not To Postpone Football and Other Fall Sports And Will Proceed As Usual Pending County Health Officials’ Approval07.21.2020
- Court Holds that Charter Renewal Petitions Denied by School Districts Must be “Supported by Evidence,” Finding also that Charter Schools Have a “Vested Right” Once Approved07.23.2019
- Charter Schools Must Comply with the Brown Act, Public Records Act, Government Code Section 1090, and the Political Reform Act, and are Subject to Grand Jury Review01.08.2019
- EdLawConnect Blog, 08.11.2021
- EdLawConnect Blog, 06.25.2021
- Is Your Website ADA-Compliant? Web Accessibility Lawsuits May Soon Be On the Rise as California High Courts Expand the Reach of the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Unruh Civil Rights ActEdLawConnect Blog, 09.24.2019
- EdLawConnect Blog, 07.01.2019
- EdLawConnect Blog, 04.22.2019
- EdLawConnect Blog, 04.01.2019
- EdLawConnect Blog, 12.14.2018
- EdLawConnect Blog, 09.21.2018