Scott Holbrook provides representation and legal counsel to school districts, county offices of education, and community college districts in labor and personnel matters, including certificated/classified employee discipline and dismissal, responses to EEOC and DFEH complaints, responses to unfair practice charges before the PERB, and collective bargaining. He advises clients in all aspects of charter school law, including petitions and appeals, forming “dependent” charter schools, operating agreements, and Prop 39 facility requirements. In addition, Mr. Holbrook handles matters involving litigation, student discipline and expulsion, the ADA, FERPA, the Brown Act, interscholastic athletics and collegiate sports law, special education, and general school law issues.
Mr. Holbrook also serves as Legal Counsel to the City of Roseville Personnel Board, the City of Davis Personnel Board, and to the Dixon Public Library District. He serves as a Hearing Officer for other public agencies in personnel matters.
Before practicing education law, Mr. Holbrook spent twelve years working as a counselor and teacher in public and private schools. In addition, he served as a high school track and field coach and as a junior league football coach.
News & Publications
Events & Speaking Engagements
Mr. Holbrook is a frequent presenter at ACSA regional conferences.
Alerts & Articles
- Court Holds that Charter Renewal Petitions Denied by School Districts Must be “Supported by Evidence,” Finding also that Charter Schools Have a “Vested Right” Once Approved07.23.2019
- Charter Schools Must Comply with the Brown Act, Public Records Act, Government Code Section 1090, and the Political Reform Act, and are Subject to Grand Jury Review01.08.2019
- New Legislation Makes Merit System Playground Supervisors Permanent Classified Employees as of January 1, 201909.21.2018
- Classified Employees’ Probationary Periods May Be Extended as a Reasonable Accommodation for Prolonged Absences Due to Disability05.16.2018
Mr. Holbrook is a frequent contributor to the firm’s publications.
Community & Professional
- Sports Lawyers Association, Member
- California Council of School Attorneys, Member
- Native Hawaiian Bar Association, Member