Scott Holbrook leads the firm’s Northern California Education Law Practice Group. He has more than 20 years of experience in education law and provides representation and legal counsel to school districts, county offices of education, and community college districts in labor negotiations involving both traditional and interest-based bargaining (IBB). Mr. Holbrook has served as lead negotiator at numerous certificated, classified, and faculty tables.
Mr. Holbrook handles grievances/arbitrations and unfair practice charges before the PERB, as well as personnel matters, including certificated/classified employee discipline and dismissal. In addition, Mr. Holbrook serves as General Counsel to numerous school districts and county offices of education and oversees matters involving litigation, student discipline and expulsion, the ADA, FERPA, the Brown Act, interscholastic athletics and collegiate sports law, special education, and general school law issues.
Mr. Holbrook also conducts training workshops for school boards, administrators, and staff involving the Brown Act, Conflicts of Interest, Collective Bargaining, FRISK (progressive discipline), Interdistrict Transfer Appeals, Student Discipline and Expulsion, and other trainings designed to meet the specific needs of the educational agency.
Mr. Holbrook serves as legal counsel to the City of Roseville Personnel Board, the City of Davis Personnel Board, and to the Dixon Public Library District. He serves as a Hearing Officer for other public agencies in personnel matters.
Before practicing education law, Mr. Holbrook spent twelve years working as a counselor and teacher in public and private schools. In addition, he served as a high school track and field coach and as a junior league football coach.
News & Publications
Events & Speaking Engagements
Mr. Holbrook is a frequent presenter at ACSA regional conferences.
Alerts & Articles
- Expanded Opportunity for California Community College Districts to Obtain Information about Potential Students from Local Agencies10.18.2022
- Governor Newsom Modifies the Classified Dismissal and Suspension Process for K-12 School Districts and Community College Districts10.18.2022
- PERB Determines That Effects of an Employer’s Decision to Mandate Flu Vaccine for Faculty and Staff During COVID-19 Pandemic Was Subject to Negotiations07.28.2021
- Court of Appeal Sets Clear Rule for Determining Service Credit Toward Permanent Status for University Interns02.26.2021
- California Department of Public Health Updates School Guidance to Account for Sports and Extra Curricular Activities08.07.2020
- CIF Northern Section Decides Not To Postpone Football and Other Fall Sports And Will Proceed As Usual Pending County Health Officials’ Approval07.21.2020
- The California Department of Education and Various Statewide Organizations Issue Aspirational Framework for Local Agreements04.02.2020
- Governor Newsom Issues Statewide “Stay at Home” Order – Essential School/College Employees and Contractors Are Exempt03.19.2020
- Court Requires Record of Threatened Litigation to be Included in Agenda Packet for Closed Session Item03.09.2020
- Willful Defiance Suspensions Ban Expanded to Include Grades 4-8 Students In Favor of Restorative Justice Alternatives09.12.2019
- Court Holds that Charter Renewal Petitions Denied by School Districts Must be “Supported by Evidence,” Finding also that Charter Schools Have a “Vested Right” Once Approved07.23.2019
- Charter Schools Must Comply with the Brown Act, Public Records Act, Government Code Section 1090, and the Political Reform Act, and are Subject to Grand Jury Review01.08.2019
- New Legislation Makes Merit System Playground Supervisors Permanent Classified Employees as of January 1, 201909.21.2018
- Classified Employees’ Probationary Periods May Be Extended as a Reasonable Accommodation for Prolonged Absences Due to Disability05.16.2018
Mr. Holbrook is a frequent contributor to the firm’s publications.
Community & Professional
- Sports Lawyers Association, Member
- California Council of School Attorneys, Member
- Native Hawaiian Bar Association, Member