Alyssa Ruiz de Esparza represents California school districts, county offices of education, and community colleges in education law. Ms. Ruiz de Esparza provides assistance to education administrators on a variety of personnel and general education issues, including certificated and classified discipline and dismissal; Uniform Complaint investigations and responses; charter school matters; and defending employers against allegations of discrimination with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
As a law student, Ms. Ruiz de Esparza clerked with the firm’s education law practice group, and also interned with the San Diego Unified School District, Office of the General Counsel, where she assisted with collective bargaining, general education, and special education legal matters.
She received several awards in law school, including USD School of Law Pro Bono Services Recognition (2015), the James A. D’Angelo Outstanding Child Advocate Award (2015), Best Brief for Inter-American Human Rights Moot Court, American University (2013), and the CALI Excellence for the Future Award in Legal Writing (Spring 2012).
News & Publications
Alerts & Articles
Ms. Ruiz de Esparza contributes to the firm’s education publications and EdLawConnect Blog, including:
- AALRR Client Alert, “Geographic Restrictions Apply to Nonclassroom-Based Charters” (Oct. 19. 2016)
- AALRR EdLawConnect Blog, “Judge Reinforces Local District Control and Flexibility in Use of Student Test Scores in Teacher Evaluations” (Sept. 20, 2016)
- The Public Records Act Allows Agencies to Direct a Requester to Information Already Posted on the Agency’s Website, Furthering the Efficient Use of School ResourcesEdLawConnect Blog, 10.12.2017
- EdLawConnect Blog, 01.30.2017
- Judge Reinforces Local District Control and Flexibility in Use of Student Test Scores in Teacher EvaluationsEdLawConnect Blog, 09.20.2016
- EdLawConnect Blog, 08.26.2016
- Teacher Permanency, Termination, and Layoff Statutes Remain Intact After the Court of Appeal Rejects the Trial Judge’s Decision in Vergara v. State of CaliforniaEdLawConnect Blog, 04.15.2016
- EdLawConnect Blog, 03.07.2016