Karen Gilyard represents California school districts and community college districts in education law and labor relations. Ms. Gilyard provides interpretation and assessment of issues arising under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Educational Employment Relations Act. She also provides litigation services for special education due process hearings, Section 504 complaints, public sector unfair practice charges, and discrimination claims. Ms. Gilyard acts as a district negotiator and specializes in employment discrimination, student discipline, special education, and condemnation actions.
News & Publications
Events & Speaking Engagements
Ms. Gilyard has presented workshops and conferences for school administrators, teachers, and staff, educational agencies, and school board members on such topics as collective bargaining, Section 504, student discipline, and special education.
- Cerritos Sheraton Hotel, 04.20.2018
- Santa Clara County Office of Education Hosted by: South East Consortium SELPA, 04.30.2018
Alerts & Articles
Ms. Gilyard has co-authored numerous summaries of recent statutes and court and administrative decisions relating to education and labor issues. She is a frequent contributor to the firm’s school law publications.
- EdLawConnect Blog, 05.26.2015
- EdLawConnect Blog, 12.01.2014
- EdLawConnect Blog, 09.02.2014
- EdLawConnect Blog, 08.06.2014
Community & Professional
- American Bar Association, Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member