At AALRR, diversity isn’t just something we say,
it’s something we do.
We make diversity a priority at AALRR, and the result is not only a workplace of inclusion, but fulfillment of a key goal for our clients: to provide the highest level of service and innovative legal thinking.
Serving in nine offices throughout California, our attorneys represent a rich mix of races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, cultures, and languages. The wide cultural lens from which we view the world helps us to facilitate greater communication in litigation, counseling, and business planning. Understanding the perspectives of the clients we serve, as well as the perspectives of those served by our clients, makes us uniquely qualified to provide exceptional legal services. This is true for our public-sector clients—including cities and school districts—who rightly view diversity as important for the make-up of their management teams and beneficial to their students, communities and constituencies, as well as for our private-sector clients, who understand that establishing diversity as a core component of their business strategy can drive innovation and retain top talent.
From our recruiting practices to our leadership committees to our work in the community and beyond, we don’t just pay lip service to the concept of diversity. It’s not merely something we say: It’s something we practice every day.
Recent Awards and Recognition
Fifty-six percent of AALRR’s workforce are women. Thirty-nine percent identify as people of color. Thirty-four percent of our managers are female. Sixty-two percent of our Executive Committee identify as people of color. These numbers alone don’t speak for themselves—but the recognition we regularly receive for our commitment puts those statistics into context. Here are a few of our recent awards and honors:
- June 2020, Law360 ranked AALRR number 213 of the nation’s 400 largest firms. Aptly named the Law360 400, this prestigious list has been published every year since 2014—and AALRR has continued to climb up the ranks since then.
- July 2019, Law360 named the top firm in the nation for minority equity partners and the fifth in the nation for minority attorneys in general in Law360’s annual Diversity Snapshot. AALRR has held the top spot for minority equity partners for three years in a row.
- June 2019, AALRR is pleased to announce its recognition in Law360’s 2019 Glass Ceiling Report as one of the top ten firms in the nation for female attorneys. Over 300 firms nationwide submitted their firm’s demographic data to Law360, and the results recognized AALRR as the sixth best firm of its size for employing and supporting women.
- April 2019, AALRR was awarded a National Diversity Excellence Award from Associated Builders and Contractors for the fifth year.
- September 2018, was selected as the inaugural recipient of the California Lawyers Association’s Law Firm Diversity Award. Previously presented annually by the State Bar of California, the award is given to a single law firm each year in recognition of their outstanding efforts in promoting diversity and inclusion in the legal profession.
- In June 2018, Law360 named the firm the best of its size in the nation for minority equity partners, and one of the top ten in the nation for minority attorneys in general.
- In October 2017, AALRR received the California Minority Counsel Program’s prestigious Drucilla Stender Ramey Majority-Owned Law Firm Award for its commitment to diversity and inclusion initiatives.
These are just a few of the firm’s numerous diversity awards and recognitions. At AALRR, diversity is not just something we say, it’s something we do.
Our Diversity Mission Statement
Our diversity initiatives are founded upon a clearly defined mission:
AALRR is committed to ensuring that the firm’s attorneys reflect the diversity of communities in which we practice and the clients we serve. AALRR understands that one of the most powerful aspects of diversity is to harness the wide range of experiences, viewpoints, and perspectives that diverse attorneys bring to the table. Our focus on diversity and inclusion is predicated on the fact that regardless of the basis for our differences, it is those differences that make us more insightful, more creative, more empathetic, more understanding, and ultimately make us better, stronger lawyers and enrich our practice of law.
Mindful of this mission, AALRR is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting its attorneys and staff members regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, disability, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity. AALRR is further dedicated to fostering a work environment that embraces different backgrounds and perspectives, promotes equality, and engenders mutual respect, thereby creating a culture of inclusion where everyone has the opportunity to excel and achieve their full potential.