At AALRR, diversity isn’t just something we say,
it’s something we do.
We make diversity a priority at AALRR, and the result is not only a workplace of inclusion, but fulfillment of a key goal for our clients: to provide the highest level of service and innovative legal thinking.
Serving in nine offices throughout California, our attorneys represent a rich mix of races, ethnicities, religions, sexual orientations, cultures, and languages. The wide cultural lens from which we view the world helps us to facilitate greater communication in litigation, counseling, and business planning. Understanding the perspectives of the clients we serve, as well as the perspectives of those served by our clients, makes us uniquely qualified to provide exceptional legal services. This is true for our public-sector clients—including cities and school districts—who rightly view diversity as important for the make-up of their management teams and beneficial to their students, communities and constituencies, as well as for our private-sector clients, who understand that establishing diversity as a core component of their business strategy can drive innovation and retain top talent.
From our recruiting practices to our leadership committees to our work in the community and beyond, we don’t just pay lip service to the concept of diversity. It’s not merely something we say: It’s something we practice every day.
Recent Awards and Recognition
Fifty-six percent of AALRR’s workforce are women. Thirty nine percent are non-caucasian. Thirty-four percent of our managers are female. Sixty-two percent of our Executive Committee are non-caucasian. These numbers alone don’t speak for themselves—but the recognition we regularly receive for our commitment puts those statistics into context. Here are a few of our recent awards and honors:
- Named the top firm in the country in 2017 for both minority equity partners and minority attorneys in general by Law360.
- Awarded the 2017 Drucilla Stender Ramey Majority Owned Law Firm Award, one of three diversity awards given annually by the California Minority Counsel Program.
- Named a 2017 Diversity Leader by Profiles in Diversity Journal.
- Designated one of the Most Inclusive Firms in the Country for Minority Women Lawyers by Chambers & Partners’ Women in Law Awards: USA 2017. The four other law firms recognized are global giants, with over 1,000 attorneys serving worldwide. AALRR’s listing among these larger firms is a rare designation.
- Recognized with the Associated Builders and Contractors’ National Diversity Excellence Award in 2017—the third year AALRR has received this honor. The award recognizes members who display exemplary diversity leadership in their workforce, supply chain, and community with best-in-class recruitment policies, retention practices, and training and mentoring programs.
Our Diversity Mission Statement
Our diversity initiatives are founded upon a clearly defined mission:
AALRR is committed to ensuring that the firm’s attorneys reflect the diversity of communities in which we practice and the clients we serve. AALRR understands that one of the most powerful aspects of diversity is to harness the wide range of experiences, viewpoints, and perspectives that diverse attorneys bring to the table. Our focus on diversity and inclusion is predicated on the fact that regardless of the basis for our differences, it is those differences that make us more insightful, more creative, more empathetic, more understanding, and ultimately make us better, stronger lawyers and enrich our practice of law.
Mindful of this mission, AALRR is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting its attorneys and staff members regardless of gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, disability, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity. AALRR is further dedicated to fostering a work environment that embraces different backgrounds and perspectives, promotes equality, and engenders mutual respect, thereby creating a culture of inclusion where everyone has the opportunity to excel and achieve their full potential.