Shawn Ogle is a seasoned litigator in the firm’s Commercial and Complex Litigation Practice Group with a proven history in a broad range of commercial, class action defense, and high-profile trust & estate matters. Mr. Ogle prides himself on his commitment to providing his clients with dedicated service from the initial stage of client counseling and case analysis through trial and the appellate process.
Mr. Ogle specializes in complex fiduciary litigation regardless of whether such claims arise in the boardroom or the dining room. Mr. Ogle has handled matters involving breach of fiduciary duty, corporate governance, fraud, securities violations, misappropriation of trade secrets, real property disputes, and equity disputes between shareholders, member, or partners.
In addition, Mr. Ogle has litigated highly contentious trust and estate matters. He has represented fiduciaries in multifaceted accounting and surcharge matters, and has represented beneficiaries in prosecuting claims for breach of fiduciary duty.
Mr. Ogle has also successfully litigated numerous testamentary instruments and elder abuse claims, including claims against unscrupulous caregivers or long lost relatives who suddenly re-emerge when an individual is near the end of his life. In one of the most high-profile probate matters in recent memory, Mr. Ogle successfully represented the children of legendary radio host Casey Kasem in obtaining a conservatorship over Mr. Kasem’s person along with a judgment for attorneys’ fees and costs.
While in law school, Mr. Ogle received a scholarship from the Institute for Corporate Counsel, served as Executive Notes Editor for the Southern California Interdisciplinary Law Journal, and worked as a judicial extern for the Honorable Rita Miller of the Los Angeles Superior Court.
Honors & Recognitions
Mr. Ogle has been named a Rising Star by Southern California Super Lawyers every year since 2016. Rising Stars are exceptional Southern California attorneys who are 40 years old or younger or who have been practicing law for ten years or less. They are selected based on peer evaluations and independent research regarding the attorneys’ professional achievements. Only 2.5 percent of attorneys are recognized as Rising Stars.
Mr. Ogle’s accomplishments include:
- Obtained summary judgment in a breach of contract case and was awarded over $135,000 in attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Obtained summary adjudication defeating defendants’ claims of sole ownership to office building in downtown Los Angeles.
- Obtained settlement agreement after first stage of arbitration, raising shareholder clients’ buyout rights from $2.2 million to $4 million.
- Prevailed in bench trial to enforce a marital settlement agreement relating to the $15 million sale of an electronics manufacturing business and obtained an award of $392,000 in attorneys’ fees and costs for client.
- Prevailed against multiple claimants after eight-week trial involving an action to execute upon a $5 million injunction bond relating to a real estate development in Newport Beach. Obtained over $330,000 in fees and costs from adversaries as the prevailing party. California Court of Appeal affirmed trial court’s ruling in full.
- Obtained dismissal of complaint in which private equity firm and two of its investment funds demanded $40 million in damages from former CEO of acquired company.
- Successfully represented daughter of beloved radio host Casey Kasem in obtaining order for temporary conservatorship and judgment of over $266,000 in attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Obtained dismissal of employee’s unlawful discharge complaint filed with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing against national retailer client.
News & Publications
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Guest Speaker, California Society of CPAs, Forensic Services Section – Orange County Chapter, January 7, 2019.
- Keynote Speaker, The Value of Forensic Accountants, California Society of CPAs – Forensic Expert Leadership Institute, September 14, 2018.
Alerts & Articles
- California’s Extension of COVID-19 Measure and Its Continued Impact On Commercial Lease Payment Obligations06.04.2020
- The COVID-19 Response And Its Impact On Commercial Lease Payment Obligations Part III; Orange County—Santa Ana and Costa Mesa05.15.2020
- The COVID-19 Response And Its Impact On Commercial Lease Payment Obligations Part II; San Francisco and Sacramento Among Several Northern California Jurisdictions with Eviction Moratoriums for Qualifying Commercial Tenants05.04.2020
- Does The COVID-19 Coronavirus Trigger The Force Majeure Clause in Your Commercial Contracts or Otherwise Excuse Performance By Either Party?03.13.2020
Mr. Ogle is a regular contributor to the firm’s employment publications and blog. His writing has also been featured in publications such as the Daily Journal ("Can 'class arbitration' even be legally mandated?", July 26, 2017).
- California’s Policy Against Non-Compete Agreements Does Not Necessarily Shield An Employee’s Actions During His Or Her EmploymentBusiness Law Journal, 02.18.2020
- Business Law Journal, 11.25.2019
- Business Law Journal, 10.01.2019
- Court of Appeal Holds An Employee May Be A Managing Agent Even If The Decision-Making Authority Only Informally Sets Corporate PolicyBusiness Law Journal, 06.24.2019
- Court of Appeal Confirms that a Trust May Continue as a Partner in a Partnership Even After the Death of the TrustorBusiness Law Journal, 06.04.2019
- Business Law Journal, 04.09.2019
- California Supreme Court Prohibits Employee’s Lawsuit Against Payroll Provider for Inaccurate Pay StubsLabor & Employment Law Blog, 02.21.2019
- Employer’s Policy of Rounding Employee Hours to Nearest Quarter Approved by California Court of AppealLabor & Employment Law Blog, 07.05.2018
- Business Law Journal, 05.18.2018
- Business Law Journal, 03.13.2018
- The US Supreme Court Limits Appellate Review Of District Court’s Refusal To Enforce Subpoenas Issued By The EEOCLabor & Employment Law Blog, 05.19.2017
- Labor & Employment Law Blog, 03.06.2017
Community & Professional
- California Society of CPAs, Associate Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member