AALRR Launches Title IX Compliance Initiative Focused on Addressing Sexual Violence..
Atkinson, Andelson, Loya, Ruud & Romo (“AALRR”) continues to lead California’s law firms with the launch of its statewide Title IX Compliance Initiative. The central focus of this new initiative is on providing effective and strategic legal counsel and advice to colleges and universities throughout California to ensure that sexual violence and sexual harassment complaints on their campuses are comprehensively addressed in a manner consistent with their obligations under Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (“Title IX”), the Jeanne Clery Act (“Clery Act”), and related federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
As of April 2015, more than 100 colleges and universities across our nation have pending federal civil rights investigations under Title IX based on allegations that they have mishandled, mismanaged, or otherwise failed to address appropriately complaints of sexual misconduct based on avoidable factors. The proper handling of complaints of sexual violence and sexual harassment continues to be a growing area of concern with respect to civil rights compliance at postsecondary institutions.
Title IX Compliance Initiative Firmly Anchored in AALRR’s More Than 35 Years of Experience
Firmly anchored in AALRR’s 35-year history of successfully representing and advising California’s postsecondary educational institutions, the initiative’s team of experienced advisors is uniquely positioned to provide exceptional legal services in this complex area of the law. These attorneys regularly conduct high profile and multi-faceted investigations, as well as trainings on Title IX, the Clery Act, and related federal and state non-discrimination laws for administrators, Title IX coordinators, and other personnel. They also review and revise non-discrimination policies and procedures for civil rights compliance purposes, and provide exceptional counsel to help clients navigate complex investigations conducted by the Office for Civil Rights of the U.S. Department of Education or the U.S. Department of Justice. This dedicated team includes a:
- Title IX investigator and external adjudicator for some of California’s most prestigious universities. This attorney possesses over two decades of experience in high-profile, complex investigations for clients in the public and private sectors.
- Former general counsel for the nation’s largest community college district. This attorney possesses over 30 years of experience as a trusted advisor of California’s community colleges.
- Former senior counsel with the Office for Civil Rights. This attorney managed complex, statewide complaint investigations and compliance reviews.
AALRR’s Client Services: Making a Positive Difference on California’s Campuses
The following client services are a few key examples of the support postsecondary institutions may expect to receive through AALRR’s newly launched initiative:
- In-depth, targeted trainings for administrators, coordinators, personnel, and/or students on rights, duties, and responsibilities regarding complaints of sexual violence and sexual harassment and related matters;
- Compliance counsel, including reviewing and revising policies and procedures governing complaints of sexual violence and sexual harassment, reporting requirements under the Clery Act, and student disciplinary proceedings;
- Service as Title IX Hearing Officers for student disciplinary proceedings involving allegations of sexual misconduct;
- Management and/or conducting of complex, high-profile, and sensitive internal investigations involving complaints of sexual violence and sexual harassment;
- Advice on the intersection between internal investigations involving sexual misconduct and related criminal proceedings.
With the goal of ensuring a safe educational and work environment on campuses throughout California, AALRR offers experienced and exceptional counsel when colleges and universities are confronting complex matters involving civil rights compliance under Title IX. If your educational institution has questions or seeks counsel regarding Title IX compliance and related matters, please contact Marilou Mirkovich at (562) 653-3200 in Southern California or Marleen Sacks at (916) 227-9200 in Northern California.
- Senior Counsel562-653-3200
- Senior Associate916-923-1200