Guy Bryant’s principal areas of specialty include education law, labor law, and civil litigation. Over the past 25 years, Mr. Bryant’s practice has included education law compliance for school districts, community college districts, and the University of California, workers’ compensation litigation, civil insurance litigation, and general business litigation. His current practice also emphasizes employment, labor, education law, and general civil business litigation on behalf of private companies and nonprofit organizations.
Mr. Bryant has participated in trials, briefed and argued cases in both state and federal appellate courts, and has briefed matters before the California Supreme Court. He has extensive experience with the Public Employment Relations Board (PERB), collective bargaining issues, contracts, layoffs, dismissal and termination proceedings, grievance processes, mediation and arbitration proceedings, fact-finding, employee and other discrimination complaints involving the EEOC, OCR, and DFEH, special education hearings and facility-related matters, including contract review, construction issues, and construction litigation. Mr. Bryant also handles matters before the California Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH).
Mr. Bryant has negotiated numerous collective bargaining agreements and handled hundreds of grievances and many unfair practice charges. He has participated in labor negotiations with various entities, including the California Teachers Association, Classified School Employees Association, the Teamsters (truck drivers), American Federation of Teachers, and the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (food service workers). Mr. Bryant has also served as an “on call” legal counsel to the University of California Office of the President, and has worked to resolve and litigate disputes between various bargaining groups such as the University Professional and Technical Employees (UPTE) and the Coalition of University Employees (CUE).
Honors & Recognitions
In 2003, Mr. Bryant became the first California attorney to graduate from the Association of California School Administrators (ACSA) Superintendents’ Academy.
Over the past 25 years, Mr. Bryant has represented K-12 institutions and the University of California. Mr. Bryant has provided representation to school districts of all sizes. Additionally, Mr. Bryant has served as general counsel to an elementary school district in Los Angeles County for the past 15 years. Reported cases include:
- Ashurst v. Monterey Peninsula Unified School District (1997) 57 Cal.App.4th 655
- Culbertson v. San Gabriel Unified School Dist. (2004) 121 Cal.App.4th 1392
- Godfrey v. Oakland Port Services Corp. [DBA AB Trucking] (2014) 230 Cal.App.4th 1267
News & Publications
Events & Speaking Engagements
Mr. Bryant is often a guest lecturer in the field of education law. He conducts annual seminars on collective bargaining, employee discipline, discrimination, and sexual harassment. He also leads training sessions on the FRISK© Employee Documentation Model and other matters.
- The Cliffs Resort at Shell Beach, April 10-12, 2024
Alerts & Articles
- Governor Signs AB 438 Announcing Sweeping Changes to the Classified Layoff Process for Community College Districts; AALRR Webinar Planned10.13.2021
- California Department of Social Services Provides Guidance Regarding Waivers for Child Care Facilities and Providers09.03.2020
- In a Significant Ruling in Favor of a Public Entity, Appellate Court Clarifies the Dilution Requirement of the California Voting Rights Act07.10.2020
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Issues Interim Guidance for Administrators of US Institutions of Higher Education Including Environmental Cleaning and Disinfection Recommendations03.18.2020
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Issues Interim Guidance for Administrators of K-12 Schools and Childcare Programs – How School Facilities are Affected and Recommended Guidance03.16.2020
- Postsecondary Schools Have a Duty of Care to Protect Students from Foreseeable Harm That Occurs During Curricular Activities03.28.2018
Mr. Bryant is the co-author of “Recent Legislation Implementing Dual Enrollment Partnership Agreements,” published in the fall 2016 newsletter of the Association of Chief Human Resource Officers/Equal Employment Officers (ACHRO/EEO).
Community & Professional
- Alameda County Bar Association, Labor & Employment section, Executive Board Member
- Alameda County Democratic Lawyers Club, Treasurer
- Los Angeles Bar Association, Member
- Charles Houston Bar Association, Member
- Metropolitan Greater Oakland (“MGO”) Democratic Club, Executive Board Member and Co-chair of its Education Committee
- Northern California Junior Lacrosse Association, Former Commissioner for U-11 girls’ lacrosse
- Oakland Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Oakland African-American Chamber of Commerce, Member
- Oakland Builders Alliance, Member
- San Francisco Bar Association, Member
- Skyline Lacrosse Club, Assistant Coach of Boys’ U-13 and U-15 teams