Warren Kinsler advises California school and community college districts and county offices of education on a wide range of outside general counsel issues. He is a recognized expert on the Brown Act, with additional expertise in the Public Records Act, conflict of interest laws, “shared governance,” accreditation, election law, and school and community college human resources matters (teacher, staff, and faculty hiring and classification, administrator hiring, documentation, discipline, dismissal, release, and layoff). Mr. Kinsler represents districts on numerous issues arising out of the collective bargaining process, including contract interpretation, grievances, and arbitration hearings.
With more than 30 years of experience advising and representing schools and community college districts, Mr. Kinsler has handled fairly unique issues such as the employment consequences of various criminal proceedings, property tax allocations, school and college governance, federal financial aid, the “fifty percent” law, the California Voting Rights Act, the Peace Officer’s Bill of Rights, and immunity under state and federal law.
Mr. Kinsler has successfully represented schools and colleges in a number of precedent-setting appellate cases. (A list is available on request.) His administrative law practice includes representation of districts before the United States Department of Education, the California Office of Administrative Hearings, the Public Employment Relations Board, the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing, and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Mr. Kinsler also has extensive experience representing districts in civil cases in state and federal court.
Prior to joining AALRR, Mr. Kinsler served as General Counsel for the Los Angeles Community College District.
Honors & Recognitions
In 2013 and 2014, Mr. Kinsler was named a "Super Lawyer” in Southern California by Super Lawyers, a national rating service which honors no more than five percent of California lawyers based on independent research and peer appraisal.
News & Publications
- Long Beach Press Telegram, 08.08.2014
Events & Speaking Engagements
Mr. Kinsler has lectured extensively to school and college administrators, board members and educational agencies on various education law-related topics, including the Brown Act, teacher, faculty and administrator employment, ethics, conflicts of interest, and avoiding employment discrimination. He has been a guest lecturer at California State University, Northridge and University of California, Los Angeles. Mr. Kinsler is a frequent speaker at Community College League of California events and California School Boards Association programs.
Alerts & Articles
- California Supreme Court Holds Public Records Sent Through Private Email Accounts and Devices May Be Subject to Disclosure03.03.2017
Mr. Kinsler is a frequent contributor to the firm's school law publications.
- EdLawConnect Blog, 08.09.2017
- EdLawConnect Blog, 10.11.2016
- EdLawConnect Blog, 02.01.2016
- EdLawConnect Blog, 07.07.2014
- Governor’s Budget Proposal Jeopardizes School Districts’ Ability to Recoup Mandated Costs for Responding to Public Records Requests Seeking Electronically-Stored RecordsEdLawConnect Blog, 06.10.2013
Community & Professional
- California Council of School Attorneys, Member and Past President
- National School Boards Association, Council of School Attorneys, Member
- National Association of College and University Attorneys, Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member American Bar Association, Member