Georgelle Cuevas regularly assists school districts, county offices of education, and community colleges in navigating the requirements of the Education Code, Public Records Act, the Brown Act, and conflict of interest laws. Ms. Cuevas is experienced in counseling and representing public and private sector employers in all aspects of labor and employment law, including discrimination/harassment, wrongful termination, disability, reasonable accommodation, wage and hour requirements, leave requirements, discipline and dismissal. She has significant experience conducting thorough and effective investigations concerning workplace issues and student complaints.
In addition to being a licensed attorney, Ms. Cuevas is also a certified Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR). Ms. Cuevas gained experience in employment law, retirement, education and civil rights at previous firms. Her prior experience also includes internships with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the National Labor Relations Board.
During law school, Ms. Cuevas served as the Vice-President of External Affairs for the Moot Court Honors Society. In addition, she won a CALI award for receiving the highest grade in her Immigration Law class.
Honors & Recognitions
Ms. Cuevas was named to Super Lawyers' 2022 Northern California lists of Super Lawyers and Rising Stars.
News & Publications
- Super Lawyers, 07.05.2022
Events & Speaking Engagements
Ms. Cuevas conducts engaging and interactive workshops and training seminars on such topics as collective bargaining, Title IX Grievance Process, preventing sexual harassment, the FRISK® Employee Documentation Model, employee leaves and accommodations, and maintaining public and student records. Some of the many sessions she has led include:
- “It’s the Law Now,” AALRR’s 2021 Virtual Education Law Conference, November 2, 2021
- “Title IX Compliance Training for the Title IX Team,” AALRR Title IX webinar series, October 28, 2021
- “The New Title IX Team and Process for K-12 Districts,” Merced Union High School District, October 28, 2021
- “Title IX Coordinators and the New Title IX Grievance Process,” City College of San Francisco, October 25, 2021
- “Making the Interactive Process a Success: Part 2,” AALRR Leaves Boot Camp webinar series, October 14, 2021.
- “Recognizing and Preventing Sexual Harassment,” Merced Union High School District, multiple dates in October 2021
- “Performance Management Series: Addressing Complaints: Are Your Investigations Legally Compliant?” Porterville Unified School District, September 15, 2021
- “Managing and Understanding Millennials and Post-Millennials,” ACCCA 2020 Annual Conference, Riverside, CA, February 27, 2020
- “AB 2291: School Bullying,” AALRR EdLaw Conference, Stockton, CA, November 15, 2019
- “Legal Updates,” Solano-Napa Employer Advisory Council (SNEAC), Fairfield, CA, October 17, 2019
- “AB 2291: School Bullying,” Merced Personnel Council, Merced, CA, September 24, 2019
- "Managing and Understanding Millennials & Post-Millennials," WACUBO Business Management Institute, Santa Barbara, CA, August 5, 2019
- “Appropriate Use of Technology and District Policy,” CISOA CISO Certification Program, Sacramento, CA, May 18, 2019.
- “Confidentiality, Records, and Related Legal Issues for Therapists/Counselors,” The Harker School, San Jose, CA, April 18, 2019.
- “Managing and Understanding Millennials,” AALRR Shell Beach Conference, Pismo Beach, CA, April 3, 2019.
- “Data Breach and information Security on Campus,” CASBO Conference, Sacramento, CA, March 1, 2019.
- “Understanding Millennials & Post-Millennials in the Workplace,” Merced Personnel Council, Merced, CA, February 26, 2019.
- “Appropriate Use of Technology and District Policy,” CISOA CISO Certification Program, Sacramento, CA, December 15, 2018.
- “California Legal Update: It’s the Law Now!” AALRR EdLaw Conference, Stockton, CA, November 6, 2018.
- “Technology Addiction in the Classroom,” AALRR EdLaw Tech Conference, Stockton, CA, November 2018.
- “GPS, Geo-Location, Employers, Schools & the Law,” AALRR EdLaw Tech Conference, Stockton, CA, October 18, 2018.
- “CPRA-Debrief,” AALRR EdLaw Tech Conference, Stockton, CA, October 18, 2018.
- “Campus Security in the 21st Century,” AALRR EdLaw Tech Conference, Stockton, CA, October 18, 2018.
- "Employee Absenteeism: Managing Attendance Issues," AALRR Shell Beach Conference, Pismo Beach, CA, April 26, 2018.
- "Ransomware: Legal Issues and Tips to Avoid Being Held Hostage," CCCCA Annual Conference, Santa Rosa, CA, February 22, 2018.
- "Public Records Act: How to Comply Following City of San Jose," AALRR EdLaw Tech Conference, Stockton, CA, November, 2017 and Santa Clara, CA, October 27, 2017.
- "Ransomware: Legal Issues and Tips to Avoid Being Held Hostage," AALRR EdLaw Tech Conference, Stockton, CA, November, 2017.
- "AALRR California Legal Update: It’s the Law Now!" AALRR Education Law Conference, Stockton, CA, November 6, 2017.
- Making the Interactive Process a Success (Part 1): Tips for Effective Communication and Problem Solving When Employees Request AccommodationAt Your Desk, 02.02.2023
- Making the Interactive Process a Success (Part 2): Leaves of Absence, Telework and Other Reasonable AccommodationAt Your Desk, 03.02.2023
- At Your Desk, 04.06.2023
Alerts & Articles
- Assembly Bill 1041 Expands the Category of Individuals for Whom an Employee May Take Leave Under Various California Laws10.14.2022
- Newly Proposed Title IX Regulatory Amendments Explicitly Clarify That Title IX Prohibits Discrimination on the Bases of Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity07.18.2022
- Governor Signs Executive Order N-3-22 to Support Safe In-Person Learning in Schools Amid Surge in COVID-19 Cases01.13.2022
- SB 493 Will Require Colleges and Universities to Revise Sexual Harassment Complaint Procedures in 202212.14.2021
- Seven Bay Area Counties Release Virtually Identical “Shelter in Place of Residence” Orders That Will Affect Schools And Local Educational Agencies in Those Counties03.17.2020, updated 04.01.20
- New Legislation Makes Merit System Playground Supervisors Permanent Classified Employees as of January 1, 201909.21.2018
Ms. Cuevas is a contributor to the firm’s education publications and blog.
"Proposed Law Would Curb Smartphone Use in Classrooms", Daily Journal, May 28, 2019.
- EdLawConnect Blog, 07.28.2022
- Inadvertent Disability Discrimination May Lurk in Hiring Software, Artificial Intelligence and AlgorithmsEdLawConnect Blog, 06.16.2022
- EdLawConnect Blog, 04.01.2019
- EdLawConnect Blog, 06.06.2018
- EdLawConnect Blog, 04.23.2018
- SB 395 — New Protections for Students Age 15 and under when Subjected to Custodial Interrogation by Law EnforcementEdLawConnect Blog, 01.09.2018
- New Handbook Published by State Chancellor’s Office Highlights Best Practices to Promote Diversity in HiringEdLawConnect Blog, 11.30.2016
- EEOC Limits on Disability-Related Inquiries Regarding Employee Participation in Employer-Sponsored Wellness PlansEdLawConnect Blog, 08.09.2016
- EdLawConnect Blog, 07.14.2016
Community & Professional
Ms. Cuevas volunteered as an attorney coach of the Amador Valley High School Mock Trial Team for the 2018-2019 competition season. She previously served as an attorney scorer for Contra Costa County's moot court and mock trial programs for high school students from 2012-2015.
LL.M, University of California, Berkeley School of Law
J.D., University of Akron School of Law
M.S.M., University of Akron, College of Business Administration
B.F.A., Kent State University
- 2012, California
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Courts, Eastern and Northern Districts of California