Mellissa Gallegos represents and advises California school districts, community college districts, and county offices of education in all education and employment law matters, including employee evaluation, discipline and dismissal, reasonable accommodation, interactive meetings, and restraining orders. She also assists with Uniform Complaint investigations and responses; California Public Records Act responses; collective bargaining issues; and defending employers against allegations of discrimination with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Ms. Gallegos also has significant experience in conducting prompt, thorough, and effective investigations.
While in law school, Ms. Gallegos was Networking Co-Chair and Co-President with La Raza de Loyola, Treasurer of the Immigration Law Society, and a member of the Public Interest Law Foundation. Ms. Gallegos also served as Production Editor of the Loyola of Los Angeles International and Comparative Law Review. Ms. Gallegos was awarded scholarships from Loyola Law School, the Mexican American Bar Foundation, the Latina Lawyers Bar Association, and the Loyola Marymount Jesuit Community.
News & Publications
Events & Speaking Engagements
Ms. Gallegos has co-presented on topics such as sexual harassment, mandated reporting, and workplace investigations. She has spoken before an audience of over 400 staff and administrators at a district-wide meeting and has presented at ACSA (Association of California School Administrators) Personnel Academy.
Alerts & Articles
- Newly Proposed Title IX Regulatory Amendments Explicitly Clarify that Title IX Prohibits Discrimination on the Basis of Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity07.18.2022
- SB 493 Will Require Colleges and Universities to Revise Sexual Harassment Complaint Procedures in 202212.14.2021
- Key Considerations in Addressing “Sexual Harassment” Under the New Title IX Regulations and California Law09.11.2020
- Issues to Consider While Implementing Distance Education: Part 2 - Protecting Student Information in the Cloud04.15.2020
- SB 89, SB 117, and CDE Guidance: What Local Educational Agencies Need to Know About the State’s Response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19)03.21.2020
- EdLawConnect Blog, 07.28.2022
- EdLawConnect Blog, 04.09.2020
Community & Professional
- Latina Lawyers Bar Association, Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member
- Mexican American Bar Association, Member
J.D., Loyola Law School
B.A., University of California, Los Angeles
- California Department of Justice, Office of the Attorney General
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles
- 2015, California
U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- Ms. Gallegos is proficient in Spanish.