Susana Solano advises employers and management regarding issues arising out of the employee-employer relationship, including the prevention of employment discrimination, retaliation, harassment, wrongful termination, and wage and hour violations. She assists employers in developing policies and practices that comply with state or federal law and preparing employee handbooks, agreements to arbitrate, class action waivers or employment contracts. She also offers training on wage and hour compliance, medical leaves, accommodations and prevention of discrimination and harassment in the workplace. She is fluent in Spanish and has experience drafting policies and contracts in Spanish and conducting interviews of monolingual Spanish witnesses.
She defends employers before various administrative agencies, such as the Labor Commissioner and Department of Fair Employment and Housing.
When litigation is necessary, Ms. Solano has experience guiding her clients through every stage of litigation, including responding to pleadings, developing and implementing discovery plans, advocating for the client in court or during settlement conferences or mediation, preparing the case for trial, and trial. In every case, Ms. Solano implements legal defense strategies that maximize her client’s position while minimizing litigation costs.
Susana defends single-plaintiff claims, class actions, and representative claims under the Private Attorney General Act. Her trial experience includes a six-week class action trial involving allegations of failure to provide meal and rest periods, non-payment of wages, and failure to comply with prevailing wage laws.
In her free time, Ms. Solano volunteers as a panelist and mediator in the Yolo County Neighborhood Court, a restorative justice program which aims to recommend a restorative plan for individuals with minor criminal offenses.
Honors & Recognitions
Ms. Solano has been named a Super Lawyers Rising Star since 2018.
- Administrative Hearings & Arbitrations
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- California, Federal & Local Agency Claims
- Class Action Defense
- Employment Policies, Procedures & Training
- Labor & Employment Law
- Labor & Employment Litigation
- Leaves of Absence
- Public Works & Prevailing Wage
- Wage & Hour
News & Publications
Alerts & Articles
- The U.S. Supreme Court Changes the Standard of Proof in Age Discrimination Cases Filed Against Federal EmployersLabor & Employment Law Blog, 04.16.2020
- Labor & Employment Law Blog, 04.13.2020
- Labor & Employment Law Blog, 09.12.2019
Community & Professional
- Sacramento Area Human Resources Association, Member
- Sacramento County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section, Member
- Women Lawyers of Sacramento, Board Member
- Habitat for Humanity, Women Build, Volunteer
- Yolo County Neighborhood Court, Panelist/Mediator