John James has over 35 years of experience as a business/tax lawyer, working with businesses, entrepreneurs, and investors. He is known for his expertise in negotiating, structuring, and documenting transactions in various industries. Mr. James’ practice areas include: mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations, business formations, and real property transactions and syndications.
In addition to extensive work with liquidations and redemptions, debt restructurings and workouts, and pass-through entities, Mr. James also handles compensation structuring (option plans, deferred compensation, phantom stock plans), and business and tax planning, with particular emphasis in real property, corporate, partnership, and limited liability companies. Some other areas he concentrates on are tax-deferred transactions (like-kind exchanges, corporate reorganizations), tax audits and controversies (income, sales and property taxation), and rulings and advisory opinions from tax authorities.
Honors & Recognitions
Mr. James has been selected as one of The Best Lawyers In America© since 2006 and was named “Corporate Lawyer of the Year” for Orange County by Best Lawyers® in 2012.
- Business Formation, Liquidation & Redemption
- Buy-Sell & Shareholder Agreements
- Commercial Agreements & Secured Transactions
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate, Finance & Transactions
- ERISA & Qualified Plans
- Financing & Venture Capital
- Franchise, Distribution & Supply Agreements
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Real Estate
- Tax Controversy & Litigation
- Tax Law
- Tax Planning for Companies
- Tax-Deferred Transactions & Corporate Reorganizations
News & Publications
- Best Lawyers, 08.15.2019
Events & Speaking Engagements
Mr. James is a frequent speaker to various attorney, accounting, and real estate groups.
- At Your Desk, SPRING/SUMMER 2020
Alerts & Articles
Mr. James is a contributor to the various firm publications and blogs.
- Business Law Journal, 03.19.2020
Community & Professional
- American Bar Association, Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member