E.B. Bell represents school districts and county offices of education in education law, with a concentration in special education and student issues. He provides interpretation and assessment of issues arising under the Individuals with Disabilities in Education Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Mr. Bell represents school districts at IEP team meetings, resolution sessions, mediations, due process hearings, Section 504 meetings, expulsion hearings, and expulsion appeals.
Prior to practicing law, Mr. Bell was a high school English teacher. He taught regular, honors, and sheltered immersion subjects. Outside the office, Mr. Bell is a husband, father of three children, owner of two dogs, and a long-suffering San Diego sports fan.
News & Publications
Events & Speaking Engagements
Mr. Bell has spoken in front of numerous education organizations, including the Association of California School Administrators for multiple years. He has presented topics such as: Parents’ Rights, Student Discipline, Special Education Under the IDEA and Section 504, and Permissible (and Impermissible) Pupil Fees.
Alerts & Articles
- CDE Releases Learning Continuity & Attendance Plan Template; Elementary School In-Person Instruction Waivers; and In-Person Special-Education Services During Closure(?)08.05.2020
- California Department of Education’s “Stronger Together: A Guidebook for the Safe Reopening of California’s Public Schools” Impact on Special Education06.12.2020
- Secretary of Education Recommends Tolling of Part C to Part B Transition Evaluations, Extending Part C Eligibility During Closure04.28.2020
- Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act Provides Funding for Students, Including Students With Disabilities03.27.2020
- An Analysis of CDE’s and OSERS’ Most Recent Guidance for Serving Students with Disabilities During COVID-19 Related Closures03.22.2020
- California's Department of Education and Health & Human Services Agency Issue “New COVID-19 Guidance for K-12 Schools” Providing a Framework for Distance Learning - Encourage LEAs to Ensure Opportunities Are Available to Vulnerable Students03.18.2020
- New COVID-19 Legislation Impacts Timelines for Special Education Assessment Plan Development; Student Records Requests; Uniform Complaint Procedures; and English Language Proficiency Assessments03.17.2020
- Governor Orders Certain Funding and Services to Be Maintained During Coronavirus (COVID-19) School Closures03.15.2020
- EdLawConnect Blog, 05.16.2018
J.D., University of San Diego School of Law
B.A., University of California, Riverside
Single subject credential in English and social science, University of California, San Diego
- 1996, California
U.S. District Courts, Central, Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of California
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit