Elizabeth Rho-Ng represents California public school districts, county offices of education, private schools, community college districts, and special education local plan areas in various aspects of education law, specializing in special education and student issues. She advises clients on all matters related to student services, including serving the needs of disabled students, and has extensive expertise on topics ranging from Section 504 disability discrimination complaints and student disciplinary matters to special education administrative proceedings. Ms. Rho-Ng has successfully litigated cases before administrative law agencies and in federal court.
Prior to her education law practice, Ms. Rho-Ng served as a staff attorney at the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, where she evaluated cases in both the criminal and civil divisions and regularly presented memoranda opinions to the judges. In law school, Ms. Rho-Ng served as a law clerk at a Boston education law firm and at the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of California, where she handled the criminal misdemeanor caseload. Ms. Rho-Ng has also taught English as a second language in South Korea and, more recently while on sabbatical from the firm, taught law and core curriculum courses at Prince Mohammad bin Fahd University in Al Khobar, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
News & Publications
Events & Speaking Engagements
For nearly two decades, Ms. Rho-Ng has presented extensively across the state, from the school-site level to state-wide educational and legal conferences, providing trainings and professional development to school staff, administrators, governing boards, and other stakeholders in the field of education.
- Santa Rosa Ballroom JW Marriott Resort Palm Desert, 02.05.2020
- Santa Rosa Ballroom JW Marriott Resort Palm Desert, 02.06.2020
- Multiple Locations, 03.2020
Alerts & Articles
- Districts Should Consider Residential Placement Needs for Students in Out-of-Home Settings Initiated by Child Welfare Agencies01.31.2019
- U.S. Supreme Court Clarifies the Standard of a Free Appropriate Public Education Under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act04.03.2017
- District Court Upholds Cost Limitations Pertaining to Publicly Funded Independent Educational Evaluations (IEE)04.03.2017
- Specialized Instruction and Services for a General Education Student May Amount to Eligibility for Special Education and Related Services, 09.22.2016
Ms. Rho-Ng has also authored numerous online articles pertaining to special education legal compliance and best practices for public educational agencies.
- EdLawConnect Blog, 04.22.2019
- School District Day Care Center and Preschool Staff May Have to Abide by New Vaccination RequirementsEdLawConnect Blog, 02.02.2017
- Attorney’s Fees and IEEs: A School District May Still Have to Pay Parents’ Attorney’s Fees Despite Voluntarily Withdrawing Its Own Due Process Complaint to Defend Its AssessmentEdLawConnect Blog, 06.05.2013
- EdLawConnect Blog, 10.23.2012
Community & Professional
- Asian American Bar Association of the Greater Bay Area, Member
- California Council of School Attorneys, Member
- Korean American Bar Association of Northern California, Member