Amy Estrada is a partner in AALRR’s San Diego office and serves school district, county office of education, and community college clients in the San Diego, Orange, and Imperial counties.
Ms. Estrada provides assistance to education administrators and governing boards on a variety of personnel and general education issues, including certificated and classified discipline and dismissal; workplace and student investigations; Brown Act and Public Records Act compliance; Uniform Complaint investigations and responses; collective bargaining issues, including defending and presenting unfair practice charges before the Public Employment Relations Board; and defending employers against charges presented to state and federal agencies. Ms. Estrada also provides trainings on preventing sexual harassment and discrimination, PROOF® investigations training, and FRISK® training regarding documentation and remediation of employee performance deficiencies. Additionally, since 2020, Ms. Estrada has authored the Public Records Act chapter in the California Public Sector Employment Law treatise.
Prior to law school, Ms. Estrada taught Spanish for Spanish Speakers and Advanced Placement U.S. History at Escondido Union High School.
News & Publications
- Twelve Atkinson, Andelson, Loya, Ruud & Romo Attorneys Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 202208.19.2021
Alerts & Articles
- CDPH Mandates K12 School Employees Be Vaccinated or Submit to Weekly COVID-19 Testing; Community College Policies Remain Subject to Local Determination08.12.2021
- PERB Determines That Effects of an Employer’s Decision to Mandate Flu Vaccine for Faculty and Staff During COVID-19 Pandemic Was Subject to Negotiations07.28.2021
- President Trump Signs the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 Into Law, Allocating Billions of Dollars for Use by Local Educational Agencies and Institutions of Higher Education01.05.2021
- California Department of Social Services Provides Guidance Regarding Waivers for Child Care Facilities and Providers09.03.2020
- California Department of Public Health Issues New Guidance Concerning a Pathway to Physically Open Elementary Schools for In-Person Instruction08.07.2020
- Southern California Health Orders Govern the Ability of Educational Employers to Return Non-Essential Workers to Campus06.02.2020
- Updated -- HR 6201 Requires School and Community College Districts to Grant Paid Leave Due to COVID-1903.20.2020, updated 03.25.2020, updated 3.30.2020
- Governor Issues New Executive Orders Suspending More Brown Act Requirements Due to Coronavirus (COVID-19)03.18.2020, updated 03.24.20
- Governor Calls for “Home Isolation” of Persons 65 and Older and With Chronic Conditions; School Employers May Grant Additional Leave, Including Paid Leave03.15.2020
- New Legislation Makes Merit System Playground Supervisors Permanent Classified Employees as of January 1, 201909.21.2018
Ms. Estrada is a member of the firm’s Education Law Technology team. She has prepared and presented materials on education technology issues such as copyright/educational fair use, best practices for using social media, and Bring Your Own Device (“BYOD”) policies.
She is the author of "Saving Face from Facebook: Arriving at a Compromise between Schools’ Concerns with Teacher Social Networking and Teachers’ First Amendment Rights", Thomas Jefferson Law Review, 32 T. Jefferson L. Rev. 283 (May 2010).
- EdLawConnect Blog, 08.01.2017
- EdLawConnect Blog, 04.03.2017
- Teacher Permanency, Termination, and Layoff Statutes Remain Intact After the Court of Appeal Rejects the Trial Judge’s Decision in Vergara v. State of CaliforniaEdLawConnect Blog, 04.15.2016
- EdLawConnect Blog, 09.16.2015
- EdLawConnect Blog, 06.09.2015
- EdLawConnect Blog, 03.09.2015
- EdLawConnect Blog, 02.23.2015
- Down with the Cap & Gown? Recent CDE Guidance Requires School Districts to Reconsider Options for Graduation AttireEdLawConnect Blog, 05.12.2014
- California Law Now Requires Documentation from a Health Care Practitioner to Exempt Students from Vaccination RequirementsEdLawConnect Blog, 02.14.2014
- EdLawConnect Blog, 08.16.2013
- California Senate Bill Urges Increased Availability of Online College Courses and Extension of the California Virtual Campus through 2017EdLawConnect Blog, 04.24.2013
- EdLawConnect Blog, 02.11.2013
- EdLawConnect Blog, 01.28.2013
- Clearing the Smoke Surrounding California’s Compassionate Use Act (Medical Marijuana) and Its Effect on Employment and Student Discipline LawEdLawConnect Blog, 01.04.2012
Community & Professional
Ms. Estrada is involved in a number of community and professional organizations. She is affiliated with the Angels Foster Family Network as well as the following legal organizations:
- California Council of School Attorneys, Member
- Crawford High School Academy of Law Advisory Board, Member and Co-Chair of Attorney Mentor Program
- Lawyers Club of San Diego, Member
- San Diego County Bar Association, Member