Adam Newman is co-chair of the firm’s state-wide Special Education Practice Group. Mr. Newman has many years of experience advising and representing public school districts, SELPAs and county offices of education in all aspects of special education, Section 504, student discipline and general student matters. Mr. Newman also serves as legal advisor to administrative hearing panels in student expulsion cases.
Mr. Newman began his legal career in 1993 as a Deputy City Attorney for the City of Huntington Beach. In that capacity, Mr. Newman’s practice was devoted to employment litigation, administrative hearings and defense of unfair labor practices under California’s public sector collective bargaining laws. Mr. Newman won several Court of Appeal decisions regarding collective bargaining management rights and retirement issues.
Honors & Recognitions
In 2005 and 2006, Mr. Newman was named a "Southern California Rising Star" by Los Angeles Magazine. This recognition honors exceptional Southern California attorneys who are under the age of 40. Rising Stars are selected based on peer evaluations and independent research regarding the attorneys’ professional achievements. Only 2.5 percent of attorneys are recognized as Rising Stars.
News & Publications
Events & Speaking Engagements
Mr. Newman is an active speaker, conducting approximately 25-40 presentations per year for public school agencies and organizations such as CSBA, ACSA, and CASCWA.
Alerts & Articles
- Districts Should Consider Residential Placement Needs for Students in Out-of-Home Settings Initiated by Child Welfare Agencies01.31.2019
- U.S. Supreme Court Clarifies the Standard of a Free Appropriate Public Education Under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act04.03.2017
- District Court Upholds Cost Limitations Pertaining to Publicly Funded Independent Educational Evaluations (IEE)04.03.2017
Mr. Newman is an active contributor to the firm’s various newsletters and publications.
- EdLawConnect Blog, 04.26.2017
- EdLawConnect Blog, 03.03.2017
- EdLawConnect Blog, 11.21.2014
- EdLawConnect Blog, 09.02.2014
- EdLawConnect Blog, 08.06.2014
- Charter Schools’ Obligations-Federal Civil Rights Laws Uphold Non-Discriminatory Admissions PracticesEdLawConnect Blog, 07.02.2014
- EdLawConnect Blog, 06.11.2014
- EdLawConnect Blog, 06.09.2014
- Planning for Students’ Post-Secondary Life: The Importance of an Individual Transition Plan for Special Education StudentsEdLawConnect Blog, 04.10.2014
- EdLawConnect Blog, 01.15.2013
- EdLawConnect Blog, 12.06.2012
- EdLawConnect Blog, 11.27.2012
- EdLawConnect Blog, 11.09.2012
- EdLawConnect Blog, 10.19.2012
- EdLawConnect Blog, 08.20.2012
- EdLawConnect Blog, 08.06.2012
- EdLawConnect Blog, 06.14.2012
- EdLawConnect Blog, 05.22.2012
- EdLawConnect Blog, 11.30.2011
- EdLawConnect Blog, 10.18.2011