Susan Steward provides expert representation to every client she serves, both as counsel and in the courtroom. Ms. Steward has worked closely with for-profit and nonprofit companies, governmental entities, trade associations, and many other organizations on legal matters including defending against claims of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, and wrongful termination. Ms. Steward also handles class action claims and Private Attorneys General Act (PAGA) matters and is well-versed on the full range of employment law matters pertinent to the entities she serves.
Ms. Steward has litigated significant victories for her clients—and has successfully reached out-of-court resolutions at the early stages of litigation in numerous cases. Appearing in front of both state and federal courts, Ms. Steward litigates single and multi-plaintiff actions. She also represents clients in administrative agency actions and conducts large-scale workplace investigations.
Ms. Steward brings her employment law expertise to a wide range of industries, from the manufacturing sector to the service industry. Additionally, Ms. Steward works with staffing companies, including local, regional, and national organizations specializing in direct hire, temp-to-hire, commercial staffing, and executive searches. She frequently drafts staffing services agreements and provides customized training in addition to advice and counsel on all matters related to client needs, from the routine to the highly complex.
Ms. Steward’s legal practice is greatly enhanced by her prior experience in management, serving as a Regional Director of Operations and in Human Resources in the healthcare industry. This experience, coupled with Ms. Steward’s MBA, allows her to give employers nuanced and practical advice and counsel. Her background gives her a strong foundation for her legal insights—and her clients see the difference.
- Administrative Hearings & Arbitrations
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- California, Federal & Local Agency Claims
- Class Action Defense
- Employment Policies, Procedures & Training
- Labor & Employment Law
- Labor & Employment Litigation
- Leaves of Absence
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Wage & Hour
- Workplace Training
News & Publications
Events & Speaking Engagements
Ms. Steward has conducted hundreds of training seminars and presentations on topics such as preventing harassment and discrimination, managing the employment process (including hiring, firing, and performance documentation), and conducting workplace investigations. She also authors custom training programs for clients and co-chairs the firm’s annual Employment Law Conference, which had over 1,000 attendees last year.
Alerts & Articles
- Los Angeles County Passes Ordinance Requiring Employers with 500+ Employees to Provide Supplemental Paid Sick Leave to Covered Employees Until December 202005.07.2020
- DHS Announces Modified Document Inspection Process For Remote Workers and Inspection Extension Amid COVID-19 Pandemic04.14.2020
Ms. Steward contributes to the firm’s various publications.
- Labor & Employment Law Blog, 05.07.2020
- Labor & Employment Law Blog, 04.13.2020
Community & Professional
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Staffing Association, Member
- California Staffing Professionals, Member
- Professionals in Human Resources, Member
- Long Beach Bar Association, Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member
- Orange County Bar Association, Member