Steve Andelson is a founding partner of AALRR. He has exclusively represented school and community college districts in employment, personnel, labor relations, and general school law for over 40 years.
Mr. Andelson’s work includes providing advice and representation on matters relating to open meeting laws, conflicts of interest, employee discipline, employee discrimination and harassment, collective bargaining negotiations, personnel complaints, contract interpretation disputes, and unfair labor practices and representation cases before the Public Employment Relations Board.
Honors & Recognitions
Mr. Andelson has received State-wide recognition for his book “FRISK,” which lays out the fundamentals and critical feedback techniques for evaluators in addressing below-standard employee performance.
Mr. Andelson received special recognition from the Riverside County and San Bernardino County Offices of Education for outstanding legal services on behalf of the Inland Personnel Council, a consortium of approximately 50 school districts, community colleges, and county offices of education.
Mr. Andelson is highly regarded in the legal and education communities and has been selected by his peers as one of Southern California’s “Super Lawyers” by Law and Politics Magazine every year for the past 18 years.
News & Publications
Events & Speaking Engagements
Mr. Andelson lectures extensively before professional and university audiences, such as CSBA, ACSA, and CASBO, as well as the University of Southern California, University of California, Davis, and University of California, Los Angeles.
Alerts & Articles
- The Ninth Circuit Holds that Official Use of a Social Media Platform Created a Public Forum, and Blocking Members of the Public Violated the First Amendment08.03.2022
- CDPH Mandates K12 School Employees Be Vaccinated or Submit to Weekly COVID-19 Testing; Community College Policies Remain Subject to Local Determination08.12.2021
- PERB Determines That Effects of an Employer’s Decision to Mandate Flu Vaccine for Faculty and Staff During COVID-19 Pandemic Was Subject to Negotiations07.28.2021
Mr. Andelson is the author of FRISK® Fundamentals for Evaluators in Addressing Below-Standard Employee Performance, a nationally acclaimed manual on remediating employee performance deficiencies and addressing accountability. He has written numerous articles for professional publications including National Labor Relations Board Procedures and Practices with Reference to the Educational Employment Relations Act. He is also co-editor of the quarterly publication California Education Law Update and The Legal Handbook for California School Administrators.
- EdLawConnect Blog, 05.18.2020
Community & Professional
- American Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section