Brent Garrett exclusively represents management in labor and employment matters. He is also a frequent contributor to the firm’s Labor Relations Blog, providing analysis and commentary about new developments in the area of traditional labor law.
Mr. Garrett has extensive experience in traditional labor law matters, including representing employers in unfair labor practice (ULP) charges, union elections, administrative hearings, grievance arbitrations, and collective bargaining. Mr. Garrett routinely appears before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB). He regularly trains management teams on the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA). He represents employers in all industries, including manufacturing, distribution, construction, food processing, foodservice distribution, healthcare, retail, international shipping, and hospitality.
In the construction industry, Mr. Garrett represents contractors in traditional labor matters, and in defense of prevailing wage claims before the Department of Industrial Relations (DIR).
Mr. Garrett has extensive experience representing employers in single-plaintiff, multi-plaintiff, and class action lawsuits. He handles employment and wage-and-hour lawsuits in both state and federal court. He also provides advice and counsel to employers regarding policies and practices to comply with California and federal employment law.
Earlier in his career, Mr. Garrett served as general counsel of a public company based in Southern California.
Honors & Recognitions
Mr. Garrett was recognized as a “Northern California Rising Star” in 2015, based on a poll of selected Northern California lawyers. This recognition honors exceptional Northern California attorneys who are under the age of 40. He was recognized as a “Southern California Rising Star” in 2017.
- California Pacific Medical Center v. SEIU-UHW, 2007 U.S. Dis. LEXIS 4464 (N.D. Cal.) (successful petition to vacate an arbitration award under a labor neutrality agreement on public policy grounds)
- O'Guinn v. Port of Oakland, 2009 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 827 (2009) (upholding complete defense summary judgment on multi-plaintiff claim of race discrimination)
News & Publications
Alerts & Articles
- My Employee Said What on Facebook!?! Disciplining Employees for Social Media Posts (January 20, 2016)
- Legal Use of Employee Social Media (January 4, 2016)
- 10 Ways to Get Burned Under the New NLRB Election Rules (April 15, 2015)
- Employees Should Not Have Recording Rights Under NLRA (October 31, 2014)
- Labor Relations Law Blog, 08.09.2018
- Labor Relations Law Blog, 03.05.2018
- U.S. Supreme Court Holds That Retirees’ Healthcare Benefits Clearly Expire When the Underlying Collective Bargaining Agreement ExpiresLabor Relations Law Blog, 02.27.2018
- Labor Relations Law Blog, 02.07.2018
- Labor Relations Law Blog, 01.17.2018
- Labor Relations Law Blog, 12.21.2017
- Labor Relations Law Blog, 12.19.2017
- Labor Relations Law Blog, 11.14.2017
- Construction Company Liable for $76 Million for Fraudulently Creating Alter Ego Companies to Avoid Its Collective Bargaining AgreementsLabor Relations Law Blog, 10.06.2017
- Labor & Employment Law Blog, 10.02.2017
- Court Reverses Extortion Convictions of Teamsters Who Threatened to Picket Unless Union Workers Were HiredLabor Relations Law Blog, 09.15.2017
- Fifth Circuit Refuses to Enforce NLRB’s Decision that Employer Rule Requiring “Positive” Work Environment Violates NLRALabor Relations Law Blog, 08.02.2017
- Labor Relations Law Blog, 07.28.2017
- Court of Appeals Upholds Jimmy John’s Franchisee’s Termination of Employees Who Publicized Misleading Claims about Their EmployerLabor Relations Law Blog, 07.07.2017
- Labor Relations Law Blog, 06.30.2017
- Labor Relations Law Blog, 06.26.2017
- Labor Relations Law Blog, 06.22.2017
- NLRB Holds That Temporary Employees and Regular Employees Have the Right to Form Combined Bargaining UnitLabor Relations Law Blog, 08.04.2016
- NLRB Holds That Temporary Employees and Regular Employees Have the Right to Form Combined Bargaining UnitLabor & Employment Law Blog, 08.04.2016
- Labor Relations Law Blog, 06.14.2016
- Labor Relations Law Blog, 06.01.2016
- Labor Relations Law Blog, 05.16.2016
- Labor Relations Law Blog, 05.10.2016
- Labor Relations Law Blog, 05.09.2016
Community & Professional
- American Bar Association, Committee on Practice Under the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), Member
- Association of Corporate Counsel, Member