Jonathan Vick is a member of the Facilities, Construction, and Property Practice Group and has more than 30 years of experience in state and federal courts and administrative agencies. He started his career working for the United States Department of Labor, Office of the Solicitor where he was responsible for enforcing the Fair Labor Standards Act, Davis Bacon and Related Acts, the Occupational Safety Health Act, the Mine Safety and Health Act, and other federal statutes. Since leaving the government, he has gained extensive experience with construction claims, mechanics liens, wage and hour, prevailing wage, OSHA, wrongful termination, catastrophic personal injury, toxic torts, and environmental cases. Mr. Vick has demonstrated an ability to expertly manage all stages of high profile, complex, multi-party litigation cases.
In June 2015, Mr. Vick was named an “at large” member to the Division of Occupational Safety and Health (Cal/OSHA) Advisory Committee by Juliann Sum, Chief of Cal/OSHA. The mission of the Cal/OSHA Advisory Committee is to promote and improve occupational health and safety conditions and public safety in California. The committee functions by providing information, advice, and assistance regarding programs and activities within the Department of Industrial Relations (DIR), particularly those of the Division of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH).
- Prosecuted cases for OSHA violations on behalf of Federal OSHA and defended numerous clients in state and federal OSHA investigations into accidents involving job-related fatalities and serious injuries.
- Won a defense verdict after a six-month trial defending an oilfield servicing company in a catastrophic oilfield accident involving three wrongful death claims and three personal injury claims arising from the accident. Case required expert testimony in reservoir and oil well mechanics, explosive mechanics, toxicology and isotopic analysis of oilfield gases.
- Defended a large Las Vegas hotel in a lawsuit involving a mechanics lien in excess of $1 million through verdict in Nevada District Court.
- Defended a mechanics lien action in a residential reconstruction case following the Northridge earthquake. Received a defense verdict on the lien claim and received a verdict in excess of $100,000 for the homeowner.
- Successfully defended a five-day arbitration involving a mechanics lien/delay claim filed by a subcontractor on a commercial building. Received an award in favor of the client on a delay claim.
- Successfully settled a construction claim on behalf of a school district for $4.2 million.
- Defended a contractor in a lawsuit for property damage filed by a large petroleum refinery and personal injury claims filed by several hundred residents resulting from a refinery fire.
- Prosecuted OSHA citation/penalty case against a Metro-Rail tunneling contractor before the Federal Occupational Safety and Health Appeals Board, receiving a decision and order after a multi-day trial.
- Represented the commercial property owner in litigation against an energy company arising from the Fairfax/Park La Brea methane gas fire.
- Successfully settled a construction claim for a contractor for $2 million involving a delay claim and change orders for a processing plant in Wyoming.
- Successfully settled a construction claim for a homeowner of a luxury home in Pasadena for $1.875 million involving delays/overpayment for change orders and defective work.
- Successfully settled a construction claim by a private university resulting from the construction of a gym/events center.
- Defended a contractor in a Fed/OSHA hearing involving citations issued as the result of a catastrophic injury case and all "serious" citations were vacated after a hearing before an administrative law judge.
- Successfully settled a construction claim on behalf of a school district for the construction of a nutrition center.
- Stonegate Homeowners Assoc. v. Staben (2006) 114 C.A. 4th 740. Represented a homeowners association in a complex, multi-party construction defect litigation through jury verdict and appeal. Court of Appeal reversed the trial court, resulting in a published opinion.
News & Publications
Events & Speaking Engagements
Mr. Vick has lectured extensively on construction defect matters, OSHA compliance, and construction issues. Recent speaking engagements include:
- AALRR Update on Labor & Employment Law Seminar at SCCA, January 2020
- California School Boards Association, December 2019
- SCCA Safety Meeting,Cal/OSHA Update, October 2019
- AALRR Construction Legal Forum, October 2019
- AALRR Update on Employment Law, March 2018
- “Update on Cal/OSHA,” Southern California Contractors Association Legal Seminar, January 17, 2017
- “Update on Cal/OSHA,” AALRR Construction Legal Forum, October 2016
- “When you Build it, What will Come? Emerging Environmental Health Liabilities in the Construction Industry,” AGC of California 2015 Annual Conference, October 2015
- “Microbial Mayhem! Managing Legionella and Poria Claims,” Combined Claims Conference, March 2015
- “Lead-New Rules, New Frontier, New Tools,” AGC’s 92nd Annual Convention, Las Vegas. 2011
Alerts & Articles
- Reminder—The Deadline to Comply with OSHA's Electronic Submission Injury Illness Records for OSHA 300 Logs is July 1, 201806.26.2018
- General Contractors Potentially Liable for Their Subcontractors’ Failure to Pay Wages and Other Fringe Benefits Under Private Works Construction Contracts Entered on or after January 1, 201811.08.2017
Mr. Vick was a consultant and contributor to Advising California Employers and Employees, 2005 Edition, CEB.
In April 2019, he authored an article in the Daily Journal entitled, "Beware the hidden costs of OSHA citations."
He is a contributor to the firm's publications and blog.
- Federal Court Strikes Down Portions of AB 450 that Limited California Employers’ Ability to Cooperate with ICE InspectionsLabor & Employment Law Blog, 07.16.2018
- Public Agencies May Withdraw Retained Funds Held in Escrow for a Construction Project Following a Contractor’s Default without Judicial DeterminationEdLawConnect Blog, 01.15.2015
Community & Professional
- Cal/OSHA Advisory Committee, Division of Occupational Safety and Health, Member
- SCCA Safety Committee, Member