Eric Riss represents public and private entities in a wide array of labor and employment matters. His areas of expertise include federal and state discrimination claims, PERB unfair practice charges, disciplinary arbitrations, and FLSA wage and hour actions. Mr. Riss also advises public sector employers in the area of compliance with the Meyers-Milias-Brown Act and the Public Records Act.
As an undergraduate, he participated in the American Mock Trial Association. While in law school, he received the Best Overall Appellate Brief and Oral Argument award, and reached the Octafinals in the Paul A. McLennon, Sr. Honors Moot Court Competition.
News & Publications
Alerts & Articles
- Supreme Court Limits Reach of Public Sector Unions in Janus, Finding Agency Fee Arrangements to Be Unconstitutional06.27.2018
- Probationary Employees Who May Be Terminated for Subjective Reasons Lack Property Interest in their Position05.18.2018
- Appellate Court Affirms Discharge of Peace Officer for Improperly Accessing Confidential Records and Making False Statements to Investigators07.11.2017
- California Legislature Requires Public Employers to Provide Unions with Access to New Employee Orientations and Employees’ Contact Information06.26.2017
- Supreme Court Lets Flores Ruling Stand, Requiring Some Employers to Include Cash In Lieu of Benefits in Calculating Overtime Pay05.19.2017
- Appellate Court Rules that MMBA Permits Modified Agency Shop Arrangement Applying Only to New Employees02.08.2017
- PERB’S Order Directing the City Council to Rescind Its Resolution Violated Doctrine of Separation of Powers01.06.2017
- Public Safety Officer Must Be Informed of the Nature of an Investigation “Reasonably Prior To” an In02.17.2016
Mr. Riss is an active contributor to the firm’s various publications. He is also the co-author of “Transgender Rights Developments to Know” (Daily Journal, Oct. 31, 2016) and “Transgender Restroom Case Could Affect Agency Deference” (Daily Journal, Nov. 17, 2016).
Community & Professional
- Boy Scouts of America, Eagle Scout
- Orange County Bar Association, Member