Carol Gefis has over 30 years of experience representing and advising employers in all areas of labor and employment law, including alleged wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, unfair competition, and wage and hour issues.
Ms. Gefis counsels clients through all stages of the employment relationship, from hiring through discipline and termination. Ms. Gefis advises her clients in an effort to retain good employees and avoid claims where possible. However, when the inevitable charge or complaint is filed, Ms. Gefis vigorously and efficiently defends employers before state and federal courts, from the initial filing through trial or arbitration. She also represents clients in administrative proceedings before the Labor Board, Civil Rights Department and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Honors & Recognitions
Recognized in 2022 The Best Lawyers in America® for Employment law - Management
Recognized in 2022 The Best Lawyers in America® for Employment - Litigation
2022 – Obtained a defense judgment on a highly contested pregnancy discrimination lawsuit in the face of a multi-million dollar settlement demand and prevailed on the plaintiff’s motion for a new trial.
2022 – Negotiated a highly favorable settlement of a sexual harassment / pregnancy discrimination case
2021 – Obtained a defense judgment in a disability discrimination case where the plaintiff’s injury was job-related
News & Publications
- Employer Advisory Council of Orange County, Inc., 09.17.2014
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Virtual - Multiple Dates, Tuesday, April 2, 9, 16, 23, and 30, 2024
- Virtual - Multiple Dates, Tuesday, September 3, 10, 17, 24, and October 1, 2024
Alerts & Articles
Ms. Gefis is a frequent contributor to the firm’s various publications and blogs.
- California’s SB 331: New Restrictions on Employee Separation Agreements and Non-Disparagement and Confidentiality ProvisionsLabor & Employment Law Blog, 10.26.2021
- The California Judicial Council Revises Emergency Rule to Restart Civil Statutes of Limitations on Set DatesLabor & Employment Law Blog, 06.04.2020
- Los Angeles County Obtains Approval to Move Further into Stage 2; Restaurants May Resume In-Person Dining and Hair Salons and Barbershops May ReopenLabor & Employment Law Blog, 05.30.2020
- Los Angeles County Obtains Approval to Move Further into Stage 2; Restaurants May Resume In-Person Dining and Hair Salons and Barbershops May ReopenBusiness Law Journal, 05.30.2020
- County of Los Angeles Department of Public Health Issues Orders to Move the County into Stage 2 of California’s Pandemic Resilience RoadmapLabor & Employment Law Blog, 05.28.2020
- Labor & Employment Law Blog, 04.08.2020
- Labor & Employment Law Blog, 06.16.2015
Community & Professional
- California State Bar Association, Employment Law Section, Member
- Dana Point Yacht Club, Judge Advocate
- Orange County Bar Association, Employment Law Section, Member
- PIHRA South Orange County, Board Member