Tony De Marco represents California public school districts and public agencies in all aspects of labor and employment law. His areas of practice include certificated and classified employee discipline, contract enforcement and arbitration, and general education law. He has represented employers before the Public Employment Relations Board, Department of Fair Employment and Housing, and the Office of Administrative Hearings. He is experienced in collective bargaining and is the chief negotiator for numerous school districts throughout the state.
Mr. De Marco is a member of the firm’s public sector wage and hour litigation practice group. As such, he counsels districts and county offices of education regarding the impacts of state and federal law on the compensation of classified and certificated employees. Additionally, he has represented school districts and county offices of education on charter school matters since the early years of the Charter Schools Act and is a recognized expert in charter school matters. With other members of the practice group, Mr. De Marco represented a school employer in a major class action wage and hour lawsuit involving a part-time instructor. He brings this practical knowledge to bear when advising his clients.
Currently a member of the Board of Directors of the California Council of School Attorneys, Mr. De Marco assists with the governance of this statewide organization of education law attorneys and gives presentations to colleagues at annual conferences.
News & Publications
Events & Speaking Engagements
Mr. De Marco has presented before local and statewide organizations on the interest-based bargaining process, state-mandated sexual harassment training, and other issues of importance to his public sector clients. Mr. De Marco is a member of the firm’s FRISK® presentation team.
Mr. De Marco is co-creator of the firm’s public sector wage and hour training materials and regularly speaks to groups about wage and hour laws. He also makes presentations on technology issues, giving clients balanced and effective approaches for addressing bargaining and employment issues in this fluid area of the law.
- Judge Reinforces Local District Control and Flexibility in Use of Student Test Scores in Teacher EvaluationsEdLawConnect Blog, 09.20.2016
- EdLawConnect Blog, 03.29.2016
- How Should School Employers Respond to Employees Who Engage in Misconduct that Could Indicate a Mental Problem?EdLawConnect Blog, 09.15.2014
- EdLawConnect Blog, 07.28.2014
- EdLawConnect Blog, 07.23.2014
- EdLawConnect Blog, 04.14.2014
- Significant Private Sector Wage and Hour Decision Provides Guidance Regarding Employee Breaks and Meal PeriodsEdLawConnect Blog, 04.23.2012
- EdLawConnect Blog, 11.09.2011
Community & Professional
- California Council of School Attorneys, Board Member
- Orange County Bar Association, Member