Tony De Marco represents California public school districts and public agencies as general counsel, and in all aspects of governance, transparency, as well as labor and employment law. His areas of practice include certificated and classified employee discipline, contract enforcement and arbitration, and general education law. He has represented employers before the Public Employment Relations Board, Department of Fair Employment and Housing, and the Office of Administrative Hearings. He is experienced in collective bargaining and is the chief negotiator for numerous school districts throughout the state.
Mr. De Marco is chair of the Firm’s Southern California Education Law Practice Group, a member of the Firm’s Executive Committee, and is one of the founders of the Firm’s Irvine office.
Mr. De Marco also serves as the President and member of the Board of Directors of the California Council of School Attorneys.
News & Publications
Events & Speaking Engagements
Mr. De Marco has presented before local and statewide organizations on the interest-based bargaining process, state-mandated sexual harassment training, and other issues of importance to his public sector clients. Mr. De Marco is a member of the firm’s FRISK® presentation team, and was part of the team which moved FRISK into a virtual platform to maximize access to this important program.
Mr. De Marco is co-creator of the firm’s public sector wage and hour training materials and regularly speaks to groups about wage and hour laws. He also makes presentations on technology issues, giving clients balanced and effective approaches for addressing bargaining and employment issues in this fluid area of the law.
- Quoted in "Who has the power to reopen California classrooms?", CalMatters, February 26, 2021
Alerts & Articles
- President Trump Signs the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 Into Law, Allocating Billions of Dollars for Use by Local Educational Agencies and Institutions of Higher Education01.05.2021
- The California Department of Education and Various Statewide Organizations Issue Aspirational Framework for Local Agreements04.02.2020
- Governor Newsom Issues Statewide “Stay at Home” Order – Essential School/College Employees and Contractors Are Exempt03.19.2020
- Orange County Health Officer Issues Order Immediately Prohibiting “All Public and Private Gatherings of Any Number of People,” Subject to Specified Exceptions: What Schools and Colleges Need to Know03.17.2020
- Judge Reinforces Local District Control and Flexibility in Use of Student Test Scores in Teacher EvaluationsEdLawConnect Blog, 09.20.2016
- EdLawConnect Blog, 03.29.2016
- How Should School Employers Respond to Employees Who Engage in Misconduct that Could Indicate a Mental Problem?EdLawConnect Blog, 09.15.2014
- EdLawConnect Blog, 07.28.2014
- EdLawConnect Blog, 07.23.2014
- EdLawConnect Blog, 04.14.2014
- Significant Private Sector Wage and Hour Decision Provides Guidance Regarding Employee Breaks and Meal PeriodsEdLawConnect Blog, 04.23.2012
- EdLawConnect Blog, 11.09.2011
Community & Professional
- California Council of School Attorneys, 2020 President and Board Member
- Orange County Bar Association, Member