Ann Smith represents management in all aspects of employment litigation, including defending claims for wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, retaliation and leave of absence violations. Ms. Smith handles numerous matters in state and federal courts and before various administrative agencies, including the U.S. Department of Labor, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing and the California Department of Labor Standards Enforcement.
Ms. Smith also counsels clients on a variety of employment issues, including employee discipline, wage and hour compliance and adherence to federal and state family and medical leave laws. Ms. Smith is the Chair of AALRR’s Disability Leave Committee, which meets regularly to discuss disability leave issues and pending litigation.
Honors & Recognitions
Ms. Smith was awarded the Cerritos Chamber's President’s Award in 1999 and 2004, and the Business Person of the Year Award for the 2009-2010 fiscal year.
News & Publications
Events & Speaking Engagements
Ms. Smith is an experienced presenter and has addressed numerous organizations, including Professionals in Human Resources (PIHRA), Women in Business Council, California Society of Certified Public Accountants, Employers Advisory Council, and various Chambers of Commerce throughout California.
Ms. Smith chaired the Employment Law Business Conference for the Cerritos Chamber of Commerce in 2016, speaking alongside Tina Walker, the Regional Administrator of the Department of Fair Employment and Housing Commission.
- Virtual, SUMMER 2022
- Virtual, SUMMER 2022
- Virtual - Multiple Dates, Wednesday, October 5, 12, 19, 26 & November 2, 2022
Alerts & Articles
- Governor Newsom Issues Executive Order Creating Workers’ Compensation Presumption for Employees Who Contract COVID-19 Related Illnesses in the Workplace on or After March 19, 202005.08.2020
- Governor Newsom Signs Executive Order Temporarily Relaxing California’s WARN Act Reporting Requirements in Response to COVID-19 Pandemic03.18.2020
- California Propels the #Metoo Movement Forward Passing Laws Protecting Victims/Employers From Defamation07.18.2018
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Holds That Forgiving Past Misconduct Is Not a Reasonable Accommodation09.12.2017
- Labor & Employment Law Blog, 10.07.2020
- Labor & Employment Law Blog, 04.27.2020
- Labor & Employment Law Blog, 04.21.2020
- Labor & Employment Law Blog, 04.09.2020
- San Francisco— First City in California to Announce It Will Provide Paid Sick Leave Benefits for Employees Affected by COVID-19—Others Will Likely FollowLabor & Employment Law Blog, 03.20.2020
- Labor & Employment Law Blog, 09.12.2019
Community & Professional
Ms. Smith has been involved with the Cerritos Chamber of Commerce for more than 20 years, serving as its President for the 2011-2012 fiscal year. She served on the Board of Directors from 2006-2013 and on its Legislative Committee from 1993-2000. She is also a member of the American Bar Association.