A. Christopher Duran is a skilled litigator with over 16 years of experience representing both public and private sector clients in education law, labor and employment, and a variety of civil litigation matters. He practices primarily in the areas of employee discipline, unfair labor practice, and employment discrimination.
Mr. Duran has successfully negotiated numerous permanent teacher, classified employee, and classified management dismissals. He regularly represents school district clients with grievance arbitrations and unfair labor practice cases, which usually result in favorable settlements or case dismissals.
Mr. Duran’s representation of school districts also includes the defense of civil rights cases in both state and federal courts concerning discrimination based upon race, gender, and disability. He has achieved remarkable results with his motion practice work in particular, with many successful summary judgment motions and motions to dismiss.
Mr. Duran’s private sector experience includes eight years of civil litigation and insurance defense, including extensive trial and arbitration experience. He has obtained numerous successful arbitration awards, judgments, and settlements in defense of automobile, bad faith, and premises liability cases.
- In 2009, Mr. Duran was the lead attorney in a school district’s lawsuit against California’s State Allocation Board after the Board issued $2.9 million in penalties against the district. The Board alleged that the district made material inaccuracies in applications to the State for fund releases on multiple construction projects. Mr. Duran ultimately resolved the case with a $1.2 million settlement for the client.
News & Publications
Alerts & Articles
Mr. Duran contributes to the firm’s publications and blogs and is the author of “New California Law Seeks to Protect Student-Athletes from Sudden Cardiac Arrest,” Sports Litigation Alert (Jan. 2017).
- EdLawConnect Blog, 11.15.2017
- EdLawConnect Blog, 01.03.2017
- EdLawConnect Blog, 08.19.2015
- EdLawConnect Blog, 12.15.2014
- EdLawConnect Blog, 03.18.2014
- EdLawConnect Blog, 08.15.2013
- EdLawConnect Blog, 10.02.2012
Community & Professional
- Fresno County Bar Association, Member