Todd Goluba heads the firm’s Northern California Education Law Practice Group. He has over 25 years of experience in education law and serves as outside General Counsel to over 25 school districts, community college districts, and county offices of education throughout Northern and Central California.
Mr. Goluba also specializes as a Chief Labor Negotiator for districts engaged in certificated and classified collective bargaining. In this role, he has guided districts through all phases of the negotiation process from at the table bargaining to impasse and fact-finding and has helped avert near strikes. He is skilled in both interest-based and traditional bargaining, with a demonstrated track record of developing enduring, collaborative, and mutually respectful relationships.
In 2005, Mr. Goluba was elected and served as President of the California Council of School Attorneys.
Honors & Recognitions
California Lawyer Magazine recognized Mr. Goluba with a 2012 “CLAY Award” as an Attorney of the Year for his extraordinary achievement in Education Law. He was singled out for leading a school district’s bargaining team to the first agreement of its kind in California in which student achievement gains were used as one element in determining year-end bonuses for high-performing teachers.
News & Publications
- California Lawyer Magazine, 12.05.2012
- Merced Sun-Star, 02.17.2012
- California Lawyer, 02.16.2012
Events & Speaking Engagements
Mr. Goluba is known for his entertaining and interactive training sessions on the FRISK Employee Documentation Model, AB 1825 sexual harassment prevention, and board governance issues (“Nightmare on Board Night”). He also regularly trains new and experienced Board members on the Brown Act at the statewide conferences of the Community College League of California (CCLC) and on ethics and compliance with FPPC Form 700 at the CSBA Annual Education Conference. Mr. Goluba’s “Introduction to the Brown Act” video will be featured on the Community College League of California’s website as a training tool for new community college trustees.
Alerts & Articles
- President Trump Signs the Consolidated Appropriations Act of 2021 Into Law, Allocating Billions of Dollars for Use by Local Educational Agencies and Institutions of Higher Education01.05.2021
- California Department of Public Health Issues New Guidance Concerning a Pathway to Physically Open Elementary Schools for In-Person Instruction08.07.2020
- Massive Federal Stimulus Bill Approved — Contains Funding and Waiver Authority for Educational Entities03.27.2020
Mr. Goluba contributes to the firm’s publications and blogs. His recent publications include:
- “New California Law Seeks to Protect Student-Athletes from Sudden Cardiac Arrest,” Sports Litigation Alert (Jan. 2017)
- “Speech on Campus: What’s the Law?” Daily Journal (Sept. 2016).
- EdLawConnect Blog, 05.18.2020
- EdLawConnect Blog, 05.01.2019
- SB 395 — New Protections for Students Age 15 and under when Subjected to Custodial Interrogation by Law EnforcementEdLawConnect Blog, 01.09.2018
- EdLawConnect Blog, 11.15.2017
- School District Day Care Center and Preschool Staff May Have to Abide by New Vaccination RequirementsEdLawConnect Blog, 02.02.2017
- EdLawConnect Blog, 01.03.2017
- New Handbook Published by State Chancellor’s Office Highlights Best Practices to Promote Diversity in HiringEdLawConnect Blog, 11.30.2016
- EEOC Limits on Disability-Related Inquiries Regarding Employee Participation in Employer-Sponsored Wellness PlansEdLawConnect Blog, 08.09.2016
- EdLawConnect Blog, 06.14.2016
- EdLawConnect Blog, 10.12.2015
- EdLawConnect Blog, 08.19.2015
- EdLawConnect Blog, 07.10.2015
- EdLawConnect Blog, 07.07.2015
- EdLawConnect Blog, 04.03.2015
- EdLawConnect Blog, 02.04.2015
- Court Finds County Committee On School District Organization Did Not Violate The California Voting Rights Act And Confirms Trial Court’s 90% Reduction In Award Of Attorneys’ FeesEdLawConnect Blog, 03.03.2012
Community & Professional
- California Council of School Attorneys, Past President