Michael J. O’Connor Jr. represents businesses and employers throughout the region in class action defense, regulatory compliance, collective actions, commercial proceedings, and claims ranging from alleged wrongful termination to employee mobility-related disputes. In addition to assisting clients with litigation and pre-litigation advice and counseling, Mr. O’Connor handles a variety of transactional matters, including contract review, negotiation, and implementation.
Mr. O’Connor serves numerous clients in the sports and entertainment industries and has represented athletes, entertainers, coaches, teams, universities, bowl games, and related associations with matters related to sponsorship, marketing and licensing efforts, governance, compliance, investigations and grievances, risk management, and dispute resolution.
Honors & Recognitions
Mr. O’Connor has been recognized as a San Diego Super Lawyer in the area of Employment Litigation: Defense every year since 2013.
News & Publications
Events & Speaking Engagements
Alerts & Articles
- Los Angeles County and the Cities of Los Angeles, Long Beach, and Pasadena Allow Many Retailers and Their Supporting Manufacturing/Logistics Businesses to Reopen, With Limitations05.19.2020
- California Supreme Court Deals Another Blow To Employers: Individual Employee’s Settlement of Labor Code Violation Claims Does Not Extinguish “Aggrieved” Status for PAGA (Civil Penalty) Purposes03.30.2020
- San Diego County Health Officer Issues New Order and Emergency Regulations Requiring Increased Protections for Employees and the PublicLabor & Employment Law Blog, 05.28.2020
- Fresno, Napa, Sacramento, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Solano, Sonoma, and Ventura Counties Receive Variances to Push Further into Stage 2 Reopening, Allow Dining-in at Restaurants, In-Store Retail, and Other BusinessesLabor & Employment Law Blog, 05.26.2020
- BREAKING: San Diego County Obtains Variance Approving Advance In Stage Two Business Re-Openings to Allow Dining-in at Restaurants and In-Store RetailLabor & Employment Law Blog, 05.21.2020
- Labor & Employment Law Blog, 05.20.2020
- Labor & Employment Law Blog, 09.18.2019
Community & Professional
- San Diego Bowl Game Association, Executive Committee Member
- Football Bowl Association, Outside Counsel
- Past Chair and Committee Member, Annual San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl Youth Football Clinic
J.D., University of San Diego School of Law
B.A., University of Washington
- 1999, California
U.S. District Courts, Central, Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of California
U.S. District Court, District of Nevada
U.S. District Courts, Eastern and Western Districts of Washington