Martin Li represents private sector employers in employment related issues, including discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful terminations, wage and hour litigation, and alleged civil rights violations. Mr. Li provides employers with practical solutions to difficult workplace issues. He helps his clients comply with a myriad of state and federal employment laws in order to minimize potential liability. If an audit, agency action, or lawsuit arises, Mr. Li applies years of litigation and trial experience to defend his clients and their employment practices.
Mr. Li has successfully litigated lawsuits before judges and juries. He has defended public entities, private sector employers, Fortune 500 companies, local businesses, and individuals, in federal and state courts. Mr. Li has achieved remarkable results for his clients in numerous complex employment cases.
Prior to joining AALRR, Mr. Li successfully defended numerous complex cases in state and federal courts involving catastrophic injuries in the areas of products liability, civil rights violations, police liability, and governmental liability on behalf of commercial vehicle manufacturers, municipalities, public transit and railway authorities, police agencies, railway companies, school districts, colleges, and housing authorities.
While in law school, Mr. Li served on the Executive Board of the Southwestern University Law Review, served as the Notes and Comments Editor for the Law Review, and served as the Academic Chair for the Asian Pacific American Law Students Association.
Mr. Li served as a judicial extern to the Honorable William M. Bryne, Jr. with the U.S. District Court, Central District of California, where he gained valuable insights and procedural experience.
- Obtained summary judgment of former public employee’s lawsuit alleging age discrimination.
- Negotiated several favorable settlements involving nuisance value amounts for public sector and private employers in complex and sensitive cases.
- Won defense verdict for large California city following a four-week trial in a dangerous condition of public property case involving catastrophic injuries to multiple plaintiffs.
- Won defense verdict for large manufacturer of trucks following a three-week trial in a wrongful death/product liability case that centered on design defect and breach of warranty of merchantability theories.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of large corporation that manufactures and distributes trucks and automotive engines in a products liability and breach of warranty of merchantability case that focused on an alleged design defect in a vehicle transmission.
- Obtained summary adjudications in favor of Fortune 500 companies and individual defendants to dispose of claims for punitive damages.
- Obtained judgment on the pleadings and dismissal of lawsuit in favor of community college in personal injury case alleging negligent hiring and negligent supervision theories.
News & Publications
Alerts & Articles
Mr. Li is a contributor to the firm’s employment publications and blogs.
- Supreme Court Lowers the Bar for Plaintiffs to Establish Waiver of Right to Arbitrate Due to Employer’s Delayed Motion to Compel ArbitrationLabor & Employment Law Blog, 06.27.2022
- Labor & Employment Law Blog, 08.24.2018
Community & Professional
- The American Red Cross of Riverside County, Board Member