James Baca is the firm’s Chief Operating Officer, a member of the firm’s Executive Committee and Chairman of the Southern California Education Practice Group. He represents California public and private sector employers in labor relations and collective bargaining negotiations and represents school districts in general education law matters. He focuses on employment discrimination, personnel, labor, and general education litigation. Mr. Baca holds the distinction of being AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Mr. Baca joined AALRR in 1986 and became a partner in 1990. He was the lead attorney in Governing Board of ABC Unified School District v. Haar (1994), a precedent-setting case before the California Court of Appeal, which established the right of a school district to terminate a tenured teacher for sexually harassing students.
News & Publications
Events & Speaking Engagements
Mr. Baca has presented workshops and conferences for private sector employers, school administrators, educational agencies and school board members on such topics as discrimination complaints and classified/certificated evaluation and dismissal. He is also a frequent contributor to the firm’s school law publications.
Alerts & Articles
- The California Department of Education and Various Statewide Organizations Issue Aspirational Framework for Local Agreements04.02.2020
- Massive Federal Stimulus Bill Approved — Contains Funding and Waiver Authority for Educational Entities03.27.2020
- Los Angeles County Issues “Safer at Home” Order Aimed at Drastically Limiting Contact Between Persons03.20.2020
- Postsecondary Schools Have a Duty of Care to Protect Students from Foreseeable Harm That Occurs During Curricular Activities03.28.2018
- California Supreme Court Holds Public Records Sent Through Private Email Accounts and Devices May Be Subject to Disclosure03.03.2017
Community & Professional
- American Bar Association, Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member
- St. Joseph Hospital, Board Member