Hal Block practices exclusively all aspects of construction law, including litigation and transactional contract issues, with particular emphasis on the representation of developers, institutional clients, contractors, suppliers, and design professionals. He has handled in excess of 2,400 construction disputes and has drafted/negotiated over 1,000 contracts and general conditions.
Mr. Block has a professional degree in architecture from the Illinois Institute of Technology and worked as an architect in Chicago for five years before obtaining his law degree in 1982.
Honors & Recognitions
Mr. Block has a Preeminent AV rating with Martindale-Hubbell. In February, 1997, he was awarded the CASH (Coalition for Adequate School Housing) Service Award for his pro bono work in drafting a new set of General Conditions to be utilized in all future school construction in the State of California. Additionally, he has received multiple Spirit awards from the Orange County JCC for his work as the chairman of multiple celebrity charity poker tournaments that raised money for scholarships.
News & Publications
Events & Speaking Engagements
Mr. Block is a frequent guest speaker and teacher for professional and trade organizations, nationally and internationally, and has been a guest lecturer for the graduate construction management programs at UCLA and IIT College of Architecture in the areas of construction and insurance law.
Mr. Block served as Insurance Law Editor, 1985-1988 and Co-Editor in Chief, 1988-1989, Law Practice Notes, Barrister Magazine, and has written legal columns for the Orange County AIA and for the Orange County chapter of the CSI. He has authored numerous articles and treatises, including the following:
- “As the Walls Came A Tumbling Down: Architects Expanded Liability Under Design/Build Construction Contracting,” John Marshall Law Review; reprinted in the Defense Law Journal (1984) and Handbook of Construction Articles (1984)
- “Adventures in Claims Made Professional Liability Coverage,” Best Insurance Review, July 1986
- “Design Build Insurance Protection,” Legal Handbook for Architects, Engineers and Contractors, Fall 1985
- “Notice Provisions in Contract of Insurance,” Barrister Magazine, Summer, 1984, reprinted: Adjuster Reference Book and Risk Management
- “Liability Arising From Shop Drawing Review,” Litigating Architects and Engineers Liability Claims, Fall 1986 (revised edition 2006)
- “Insurance Coverage for the Construction Process - Identifying and Managing the Risk,” Risk and Risk Management for Construction and Industry (consulting editor), Fall 1986
- “Professional and General Liability Insurance Coverage,” Barrister Magazine, Spring 1985
- “Liability Exposure Arising from the Shop Drawing Submittal Process,” Claims Against Design Professionals, 1995
Community & Professional
- Orange County Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Associations (Member: Forum Committee on the Construction Industry; Torts and
- Insurance Practice Section and Public Contract Law Section)
- American Institute of Architects, Associate
- Construction Specifications Institute, Professional Member
- Coalition for Adequate School Housing (CASH), Member