David Soldani has a diverse practice that focuses largely on advising public agencies including school districts, community colleges, cities, counties and special districts in the areas of labor and employment law, including negotiations, contracting and procurement, election law, territory transfers and reorganizations, and real property and construction transactions.
Mr. Soldani is experienced in helping his clients comply with the complex regulatory requirements of the Public Records Act, the Brown Act, the California Voting Rights Act, conflict of interest laws, and a wide spectrum of other board governance issues. He leverages his prior media experience to assist clients with their internal and external messaging as they navigate their complex and high-profile challenges.
As a labor negotiator, Mr. Soldani represents employers in all aspects of the negotiations process, including at the bargaining table where he facilitates productive negotiations with client bargaining units in order to successfully reach agreements with their labor partners.
Mr. Soldani also represents private companies and individuals in labor compliance and business litigation matters.
- Berkeley Federation of Teachers v. Berkeley Unified School District (2008) PERB Decision No. 1976 (District did not commit an unfair practice by refusing to re-open negotiations following a mutual mistake of fact which led to adoption of a CBA provision)
Request for Waiver of the Decision of the Universal Service Administrator by Associated Marine Institutes Tampa, Florida, et al., CC Docket No. 02-6, Order, (Wireline Comp. Bur. 2010), 25 FCC Rcd 16115 (19)
- Rey v. Madera Unified School District (2012) 203 Cal.App.4th 1223 (Upheld lower court’s reduction of an attorneys’ fee award under the California Voting Rights Act)
- Golden Gate Development Company, Inc. v. County of Alameda, et al. (2015) 242 Cal.App.4th 760 (Challenges to parcel taxes must be brought within the validation timeline or they are time-barred)
News & Publications
- SFGate, 11.30.2015
- The Modesto Bee, 03.11.2013
- Patterson Irrigator, 02.13.2013
- The Press-Enterprise, 10.29.2012
- The Reporter, 09.21.2012
Events & Speaking Engagements
Mr. Soldani regularly gives presentations to local and statewide organizations on a number of topics, including construction law, power purchase transactions, the Brown Act, conflict of interest laws and election and board governance issues.
- Quoted in "Oakley to appoint one school trustee, discuss four other openings next week", East Bay Times, February 26, 2021
Alerts & Articles
- In a Significant Ruling in Favor of a Public Entity, Appellate Court Clarifies the Dilution Requirement of the California Voting Rights Act07.10.2020
- Issues to Consider While Implementing Distance Education: Part 2 - Protecting Student Information in the Cloud04.15.2020
February 26, 2021 - Oakley interim school board rejects special election
- EdLawConnect Blog, 06.03.2014
- EdLawConnect Blog, 04.25.2014
- Court Finds County Committee On School District Organization Did Not Violate The California Voting Rights Act And Confirms Trial Court’s 90% Reduction In Award Of Attorneys’ FeesEdLawConnect Blog, 03.03.2012
Community & Professional
- American Bar Association, Member
- Fresno County Bar Association, Member