Daniel Hargis’s practice focuses on business litigation, class actions, corporate governance, intellectual property misappropriation, investor fraud disputes, and employment matters, including claims of discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wage and hour violations, and wrongful termination. He has experience litigating in state and federal courts and on appeal. Prior to joining AALRR, Mr. Hargis practiced at a general civil litigation firm, where he specialized in business litigation and consumer class actions.
During law school, Mr. Hargis was a moot court participant and clerked for the United States Department of Justice.
Mr. Hargis has defended businesses in class actions brought under California’s Unfair Competition Law, False Advertising Law, Consumer Legal Remedies Act, Song-Beverly Credit Card Act, and Invasion of Privacy Act, as well as non-class-action disputes, such as contract and licensing disputes, trade secret and intellectual property misappropriation cases, suits concerning the enforceability of restrictive covenants, ERISA cases, false advertising suits under the Lanham Act, personal injury actions, and cases involving common law tort claims. Highlights of cases Mr. Hargis has handled include:
- Defense of financial services firm against claims of fraud arising from the issuance of auction rate bonds;
- Defense of insurer in $100 million software licensing dispute;
- Representation of bank to enforce guaranty and defend against claims of fraud and breach of contract with respect to real estate development loan;
- Defense of video-game developer in employment dispute;
- Defense of retailers in class actions brought under California’s consumer protection laws; and
- Representation of charity on appeal of $1 million arbitration award assessed against it.
- Tenet 1500 San Pablo, Inc. v. Hotel Employees and Restaurant Employees International Union Welfare Fund, 2013 WL 75056 (Cal. App. 2013)
- Eden Surgical Center v. B. Braun Medical, Inc., 420 Fed.Appx. 696 (9th Cir. 2011)
- Hoso Foods, Inc. v. Columbus Club, Inc., 190 Cal.App.4th 881 (2010)
- City of Sterling Heights Police and Fire Retirement System v. Abbey Nat., PLC, 423 F.Supp.2d 348 (S.D.N.Y. 2006)
J.D., University of California, Los Angeles School of Law
M.B.A., the Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania
B.A., University of California, Los Angeles
- 2002, California
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Courts, Central, Northern, and Southern Districts of California