Barbara Van Ligten has over 25 years of experience in employment law and defense of management in personnel and labor relations matters, such as discrimination, retaliation, harassment, ERISA, wage & hour and wrongful termination. Ms. Van Ligten also specializes in the defense of class actions involving wage and hour and other employment related issues.
Ms. Van Ligten has clients in both the public and private sector. Her public sector clients have included the Regents of the University of California, the Orange County Transportation Authority, the City of Montebello, the City of Downey and the County of San Bernardino. She has represented clients before numerous state and federal administrative agencies, including the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the Department of Labor, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement. Ms. Van Ligten has extensive experience with jury trials, mediations, and arbitrations.
- Obtained a favorable settlement in a wage and hour class action involving an overtime exemption misclassification case involving 150 employees, which was achieved only after the filing of defendant’s opposition to the motion for class certification.
- Achieved the denial of class certification of a breach of contract case brought on behalf of over 5,000 independent contractors.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of the defendant in a discrimination and retaliation case involving a major public university.
- Obtained a favorable settlement in two coordinated wage and hour class action cases, which involved over 60,000 employees and included claims for unpaid vacation, missed meal and rest periods, unpaid wages at termination, and wage statement violations.
News & Publications
Events & Speaking Engagements
Alerts & Articles
- Practical Tips in the Wake of Recent Changes to the Federal and California Equal Pay Acts and the Ninth Circuit’s Rizo Decision07.19.2018
- Award of Costs to Prevailing Employers Is “Mandatory” When the Plaintiff Rejects a Section 998 Offer and Fails to Obtain a More Favorable Judgment10.23.2017
- The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Holds That Public Employers Need Not Have a Minimum of 20 Employees to Fall Within the ADEA’s Scope07.12.2017
- Supreme Court Lets Flores Ruling Stand, Requiring Some Employers to Include Cash In Lieu of Benefits in Calculating Overtime Pay05.19.2017
- AALRR Defeats Class Certification Of Wage and Hour Claims Asserted Against Orange County Transportation Authority07.17.2015
Ms. Van Ligten is an active contributor to the firm’s various publications. She also contributes to external publications, including the following articles:
- “Transgender Rights Developments to Know” (co-author, Daily Journal, Oct. 31, 2016)
- “Transgender Restroom Case Could Affect Agency Deference” (co-author, Daily Journal, Nov. 17, 2016)
Community & Professional
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member
- El Modena High School PSTA Treasurer
- El Modena Wrestling Booster Club Treasurer
- Orange County Constitutional Rights Foundation Mock Trial Coach for El Modena High School