AALRR Speakers Announced for August
Atkinson, Andelson, Loya, Ruud & Romo attorneys will be speaking about key issues this month, from transgender rights to employment law basics, the ins and outs of cannabis legalization and much more. If you plan on attending the following events, we hope to see you there!
WACUBO Business Management Institute
UC Santa Barbara
The Business Management Institute (BMI) at the University of California at Santa Barbara will convene for its 62ndyear, August 5-9, 2018. BMI is an immersion program with a four-track curriculum. It draws 275 attendees and offers four tracks of programming for multiple career levels. Our attorneys will be speaking at the following times during the Institute:
- Monday, August 6, 10:15 a.m.-12:00 p.m., "Transgender Rights and Requirements: Developing a Proactive Process to Comply with the Law and Meet the Interests of Everyone on Campus". Presentation by Stephen McLoughlin and AALRR consultant Laura Benson.
- Monday, August 6, 1:30-3:00 p.m., "FRISK: Fundamentals for Evaluators in Addressing Below-Standard Employee Performance". Presentation by Guy Bryant.
- Tuesday, August 7, 1:30-3:00 p.m., "When Complaints go Viral: How do you Effectively Respond while Protecting your Students and Staff?". Presentation by Jessica Gasbarro and Laura Benson.
- Thursday, August 9, 10:00-11:30 a.m., “#MeToo and Beyond: Addressing LGBTQ and Sex Discrimination and Harassment in the Workplace". Presentation by Stephen McLoughlin and Laura Benson.
CSULB | Overview of Employment Law
California State University, Long Beach
Wednesday, August 8, 6:00-9:30 p.m.
AALRR partner Susan Steward will speak to CSULB's MBA students about employment law. The discussion will offer students an overview of this particular field, as well as key issues to understand as they move forward in their careers.
Greater Riverside EAC | Interaction Accommodations Process
La Casa Ortega Family Restaurant, Riverside
Wednesday, August 8, 7:45am-10:00 p.m.
An employer is not excused from its obligations to engage in the interactive process when a workplace injury qualifies as a disability under the Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) and/or the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)—and workers compensation laws are different in the purpose and scope from the ADA and the FEHA. Business owners, employee benefits managers and staff, human resources managers and staff, industrial relations managers, and other managers or supervisors are encouraged to join partner Amber Solano for an in-depth discussion of the interaction accommodations process.
OC-EAC | Legal and Practical Methods of Preventing Workplace Violence
Embassy Suites Hotel, Garden Grove
Thursday, August 16, 8:00-11:30 a.m.
Workplace violence can range from threats and verbal abuse to physical assaults. The latest statistics show that nearly 10% of the fatal occupational injuries that occur in the United States were workplace homicides. Partner Paul Fleck will participate in a panel discussion of the legal and practical methods of preventing workplace violence. His presentation will focus on legal requirements and employer responsibilities. Other panelist presentations include how to recognize and handle potential threats and warning signs and practical intervention techniques.
ACHRO HR Leadership Academy
AALRR Cerritos Offices
The HR Leadership Academy offers a unique training experience for California community college human resource professionals. Designed to build on your existing skills and take your knowledge to the next level, this comprehensive program offers practical, hands-on, real world case studies and experience. Participants will learn perspective, leadership and how to become an effective CHRO in California’s community colleges. Our attorneys will be speaking each morning of this academy at the following times. We hope to see you there!
- Wednesday, August 22, 9:30-10:30 a.m., "Practical Law for CHROs". Presentation by Aaron O'Donnell, Sharon Ormond, and Warren Kinsler.
- Thursday, August 23, 8:30-10:00 a.m., "Collective Bargaining". Presentation by Paul Loya and Tina Kannarr.
- Friday, August 24, 9:00-10:30 a.m., "Collective Bargaining". Presentation by Paul Loya and Tina Kannarr.
CAHR Conference | Weeding Out Misinformation: HR and Legalizing Cannabis in California
Long Beach Convention Center
Monday, August 27, 2:00-3:15 p.m.
Despite legalizing recreational cannabis in California, confusion remains among employers on requirements to accommodate an employer's use or possession of the drug. Join the discussion with AALRR Partner Amber Healy and Corey Tobin with Bolton & Company.
ABC | Understanding the Risks of Shared Liabilities for Contractors under AB 1701
ABC Northern California Chapter, Livermore
Wednesday, August 29, 10:00-11:30 a.m.
Passed in October 2017, Assembly Bill 1701 holds general contractors liable for their subcontractors' failure to pay wages and other benefits. Join attorneys Thomas Lenz and Robert Fried for an in-depth discussion on the impacts of this bill on contractors and construction workers.
- Senior Associate916-923-1200
- Senior Counsel562-653-3200
- Senior Counsel562-653-3200