Essential Job Duties:
- Prepares accurate, error-free, and properly formatted legal papers and correspondence. Works with all types of documents such as correspondence, reports, records, forms, recorded voice dictation, or previous version. Proofreads prepared materials to ensure documents are free from typographical and grammatical errors and are formatted according to Firm standards. Files documents and emails in the Firm’s electronic document software.
- Files court documents in various State courts, including but not limited to, Orange and Los Angeles County Superior Courts; understands the litigation process from beginning to end, including OAH and PERB. Utilizes the Federal CM/ECF system to retrieve and file documents. Serves discovery documents using Case Anywhere and FileandserveXpress.
- Manages and maintains calendar for appearances and deadlines; ensures complaints, responses, discovery, motions, appeals, conferences, etc., are recorded on the master calendar in a timely manner.
- Maintains current and orderly files according to Firm guidelines, including, but not limited to client files, chronological, administrative, court filings, and ongoing cases. Provides quick retrieval of information, general document control, and updates materials.
- Operates personal computer, transcription equipment to produce legal documents, correspondence, memoranda and e-mails, and other office machines such as photocopier, fax machine and postage meter.
- Answers telephone calls and takes accurate and complete messages, gives information to callers, refers to others, or holds for team members. Provides relevant and timely information to clients and team members in a professional, courteous, and effective manner.
- Reads, sorts and prints incoming mail, faxes and e-mails, as well as save to the document management system and distributes as appropriate.
- Schedules appointments and meetings for attorneys.
- Arranges for travel for attorneys including hotel, airline and transportation.
- Assembles documents and exhibits for court filings and recordings, hearings, arbitrations, mediations, depositions, investigations or other engagements.
- Assists in the preparation of marketing materials such as pitch folders, attorney biographies and PowerPoint presentations.
- Preparation of attorney expense reports and check requests.
- Coordinates workshop and client training seminars.
- Coordinates attorney conference calls.
- Back up for the telephones and filing.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma required, Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Self-starter with a strong sense of responsibility, accountability, and responsiveness. Stellar attendance and punctuality are a must.
- Exemplary written/verbal communication skills, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to work independently and as part of a team is a must.
- Proven writing, editing, formatting, and proofreading skills are critical, as is the ability to project a professional demeanor with clients, attorneys, vendors and staff.
- Solid organization skills, attention to detail, proactive, and able to manage multiple projects, execute efficiently, and respect deadlines in a fast-paced and constantly changing environment.
- Ability to manage confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to efficiently conduct internet research.
- Must have knowledge of MS Office Suite which includes Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to utilize editing and redacting functions in Adobe Acrobat, and knowledge of document management systems such as iManage are preferred.
- Ability to type 70 wpm.
- Ability to operate office equipment such as computer, transcription equipment, fax machine and advanced functions on photocopiers.
- Ability to follow office procedure for opening files, obtaining new client matter numbers, and processing invoices.
- Ability to stay current with local court rules.
- Occasionally makes drop offs at Federal Express.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will:
- Stand/walk frequently during their scheduled shift.
- Ability to see well enough to read/compose reports and use the computer.
- Ability to hear well enough to communicate with clients, co-workers and outside vendors.
- Climb, stoop and kneel, occasionally.
- Use fine finger manipulation including writing, typing, and using the phone system.
- Ability to work more than 40 hours a week.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to normal office working conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.