Michael Cullen’s practice focuses on special education, Section 504, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and student issues. Mr. Cullen represents school districts at IEP team meetings, resolution sessions, due process hearings, Section 504 meetings, and expulsion hearings. His prior experience as an attorney includes working with Disability Rights California, where he assisted with special education matters and supported the rights of students with disabilities in higher education.
Before he came to AALRR, Mr. Cullen served as a field organizer with the Hillary for America campaign in Carson City, Nevada. In this role he was responsible for recruiting and managing volunteers on effective voter engagement strategies, educating supporters on the caucus system, and training volunteers to serve as precinct captains and manage voter outreach in their own neighborhoods. He also worked as an AmeriCorps member with City Year Little Rock, an organization devoted to helping at-risk students stay on track and graduate on time.
While in law school, Mr. Cullen was a Staff Member for the Northeastern University Law Journal (2013-2014), Director of Media & Communications for the Family and Juvenile Justice Society (2013-2014), and a Student Attorney with the Poverty Law & Practice Clinic (2013). He gained extensive legal experience through internships with the human rights firm Perseus Strategies in Washington D.C., Massachusetts Advocates for Children, the U.S. Air Force, and the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York.
News & Publications
Alerts & Articles
- School District Day Care Center and Preschool Staff May Have to Abide by New Vaccination Requirements, AALRR EdLawConnect Blog (Feb. 2, 2017)
- Specialized Instruction and Services for a General Education Student Amounted to Eligibility for Special Education and Related Services, AALRR Alert (Sept. 22, 2016)
- The NFL in Los Angeles? Eminent Domain and the Revitalization of Rule 4.3, Northeastern University Law Journal: Extra Legal (April 18, 2014)
- White Paper on the Case of Leopoldo López v. Government of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, Perseus Strategies (July 21, 2014)
- School District Day Care Center and Preschool Staff May Have to Abide by New Vaccination RequirementsEdLawConnect Blog, 02.02.2017