Davis Thompson primarily represents private sector clients in the construction, manufacturing, high-tech, distribution, service, and professional industries. He focuses on the areas of corporate, tax, mergers and acquisitions, venture capital, corporate finance, real estate, and commercial law.
Honors & Recognitions
Mr. Thompson was named an M&A Transactions All-Star (one of only four in California) in 2008 by BTI Consulting, Inc., which provides consulting services to Fortune 1000 companies and the organizations that service those companies.
Mr. Thompson has represented private sector clients in various matters, including:
- Equity and debt financings, and sale of information technology company: Involved several rounds of equity and debt financings, the disposition of a subsidiary, and the sale of its entire business to an offshore company.
- Manufacturing company: Sale of controlling interest in a manufacturing company to a private equity group, with the CEO retaining a 30% interest, on a tax-free basis.
- Equity and financing of online management software company: Involved several rounds of financing with private investors, a publicly traded software company, and a venture capital group.
- Transportation company: Involved the redemption of a minority shareholder; the reorganization of its several related companies and the creation of a management company; and the succession plan for the transfer of its control to the next generation of its two shareholders and a key employee.
- Sale of construction company: Acquisition of 100% of the stock in a construction company in an Internal Revenue Code Section 336(e) deemed sale of assets transaction.
- Strategic sale of companies: Sale of assets of three related companies, a manufacturing company and two related construction companies, to a strategic buyer.
- Business Formation, Liquidation & Redemption
- Buy-Sell & Shareholder Agreements
- Corporate, Finance & Transactions
- ERISA & Qualified Plans
- Financing & Venture Capital
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Real Estate
- Succession Planning
- Tax Controversy & Litigation
- Tax Law
- Tax Planning for Companies
- Tax-Deferred Transactions & Corporate Reorganizations
News & Publications
Events & Speaking Engagements
Mr. Thompson has been an adjunct professor at the USC School of Accounting, where he taught a course on partnership and S corporation taxation. He has also taught classes on general tax and business law for construction companies at California State Polytechnic University, Pomona. He has spoken in front of various industry groups on topics involving tax and business planning, mergers and acquisitions, venture capital, partnerships, and securities offerings.
Examples of Mr. Thompson’s presentations include:
- “Buying & Selling Businesses,” presented to Contractors Legal Forum
- “What are Angel Investors?” presented at the USC Marshall School of Business Center for Technology Commercialization, to business and MBA students
- “Valuing a Closely Held Construction Business,” presented to Contractors Legal Forum
- “Pros and Cons of LLCs for Angel Investments,” presented to Pasadena Angels
As a contributor of the second chapter of Inside the Minds: Private Equity and Venture Capital Deal Strategies, Mr. Thompson gives business owners a focused analysis on issues facing emerging companies.
Community & Professional
- Los Angeles Bar Association, Member
- National Association of Security Dealers (1980-1988), Registered Securities Broker
- Pasadena Angels, Emeritus Director
- Pasadena-Hills Association of Realtors (2004-2014), Member