Dan Bulfer is a seasoned trial and appellate litigator. He represents individuals, businesses, and public agencies on a wide variety of matters, including general business litigation, construction claims and litigation, class actions and other representative actions, appellate proceedings, and employment claims. Mr. Bulfer also represents businesses and their officers and directors in connection with shareholder derivative suits, claims for breach of fiduciary duty, and disputes and dissolutions involving closely held businesses. His experience also includes alleged civil rights violations under 42 U.S.C. § 1983, constitutional issues, and professional malpractice claims. Mr. Bulfer’s clients have included public and private entities of all sizes, corporate officers, public officials, and individuals.
Mr. Bulfer has skillfully handled cases at all levels of California courts involving complex legal issues or matters of first impression, including the following:
- After Mr. Bulfer’s client was sued by a competitor, Mr. Bulfer successfully opposed a motion for preliminary injunction seeking to prevent his client from completing a multimillion-dollar construction project in Southern California. Subsequently, Mr. Bulfer’s demurrer to the plaintiff’s complaint was sustained without leave to amend, resulting in the involuntary dismissal of the plaintiff’s claims against the client and a substantial award of costs.
- A recruiter brought an action against a regional construction firm, seeking substantial damages in connection with the alleged breach of a finder’s fee/referral agreement. Mr. Bulfer secured the dismissal of the recruiter’s action and recovered his client’s attorneys’ fees.
- On behalf of a class of homeowners who were defrauded through the unfair business practices of a large financial institution, Mr. Bulfer fully recovered all funds wrongfully taken from his clients. He also recovered his clients’ attorneys’ fees and secured a substantial enhancement award for the named plaintiffs.
- Representing a public project owner in protracted litigation involving a number of related actions and cross-actions, dozens of depositions, and the exchange of hundreds of thousands of pages of documents, Mr. Bulfer resolved a general contractor’s multimillion-dollar claim on terms highly favorable to his client.
News & Publications
Events & Speaking Engagements
Mr. Bulfer is a frequent presenter at conferences and before industry groups.
Alerts & Articles
- California Supreme Court Clarifies Scope of "Good Faith Dispute" Exception to Prompt Payment Statutes05.24.2018
- California Appellate Court Restricts General Contractors’ Ability to Rely on Subcontractor Bid Price09.15.2016
- Liability for Subcontractors' Failure to Pay Laborers on Private Works: How to Protect Your Company (Business Credit Magazine, July/August 2019)
- California Expands Construction Manager At-Risk Authorization for Certain Public Entities (Real Estate Finance Journal, Winter 2018)
- New Limits on Design Professionals' Duty to Defend and Indemnify (AGC California Constructor Magazine, May/June 2018)
- Business Law Journal, 05.14.2019
Community & Professional
- American Bar Association, Member
- Orange County Bar Association, Member
- Orange County Trial Lawyers Association, Member