Andres Hurwitz has extensive experience handling all phases of complex litigation in both federal and state courts throughout California. He focuses his practice on commercial and employment litigation and the representation of employers. He represents clients in the areas of prevailing wage law and wage/hour and pay practice laws. He has significant experience with electronic discovery matters as well as data security and privacy issues, and is a Certified Information Privacy Professional. Mr. Hurwitz handles insurance coverage matters, including analysis, advice and counsel, and litigation involving CGL, EPL, D&O, E&O, commercial crime, fidelity bonds, and personal lines policies. In addition, Mr. Hurwitz counsels clients on issues related to Minimum Advertised Pricing. He also handles litigation involving the defense of major bodily injury and property damage claims.
Honors & Recognitions
In 2015, Mr. Hurwitz received the Outstanding Leadership award from the Los Angeles County Bar Association, Counsel for Justice. In 2013, the Regional Chamber of Commerce of San Gabriel Valley recognized him with the Chairman’s Award for his efforts in educating their membership by providing monthly HR presentations.
Obtained a defense award for national landscape construction and maintenance company following a contractual arbitration of a claim for referral fees and related damages from a headhunter who had failed to provide any qualified candidates for the identified positions.
Following the denial of class certification and the granting of a motion for summary adjudication, handled a 2 1/2 week trial on a Private Attorneys General Act and individual wage and hour case for a major construction company in Los Angeles Superior Court, Complex Courthouse, which resulted in a net award to Plaintiff of $12.50, with no attorneys fees imposed on Defendant.
- Defended employers in the construction, engineering and food processing industries throughout California against numerous wage and hour class actions and individual actions involving issues of prevailing wages, overtime, meal/rest breaks, the Private Attorney General Act, and related issues.
- Defended a Santa Monica-based social media company and its co-founder in complicated litigation involving a former employee who claimed he was defrauded of millions of dollars. The case settled, primarily funded by insurance proceeds.
- Defended an overseas company alleged to have sold faulty flat panel television screens.
- Tried several cases involving claims for insurance coverage, fraud, and breach of contract in United States district court.
- Handled a fidelity claim after the employee of a municipality allegedly absconded with city funds.
- Defended several transportation companies against a variety of claims involving the shipping of goods throughout California and the United States.
- Defended a medical device manufacturer alleged to have tricked its sales force into selling an unsafe product.
- Defended multiple declaratory relief actions involving insurance issues and handled the insurance components of cases involving D&O, CGL, E&O, fidelity, and EPLI policies.
- Defended the developer of a local condominium complex against construction-related claims.
- Defended a cold storage company alleged to have been responsible for an asbestos-related death.
- Defended a construction company sued for subrogation following the catastrophic injury of a worker at a job site.
- Defended a construction company sued for alleged assault and negligent supervision/hiring of employee following a worksite incident.
- Regularly provides advice and counsel on employment-related issues, specifically wage and hour and prevailing wage issues.
- Regularly provides advice and counsel on data security and privacy-related issues.
- Prosecuted multiple collection claims.
News & Publications
Events & Speaking Engagements
Mr. Hurwitz frequently speaks on litigation and employment topics to local organizations.
Alerts & Articles
- Appellate Court Allows Class Action from Zappos Customers Whose Accounts Were Hacked But Did Not Suffer Financial Loss03.12.2018
Mr. Hurwitz is a contributor to the firm’s various publications. His external publications include:
- “Anonymity Is as Fragile as a Glass Door,” Daily Journal (Dec. 2017)
- “Data Breach Burdens Are Becoming Overly Harsh,” Daily Journal (Sept. 2016)
- Business Law Journal, 05.25.2018
- Labor & Employment Law Blog, 07.03.2013
- EdLawConnect Blog, 07.02.2013
- Court Of Appeal Holds Insubordination Is “Misconduct” And Is Grounds For Denial Of Unemployment Insurance BenefitsLabor & Employment Law Blog, 08.23.2012
- Labor & Employment Law Blog, 10.12.2011
- California Supreme Court Declines To Review Or Depublish Court of Appeal Decision Upholding Explicit Mutual Wage Agreement Doctrine Permitting Non-Exempt Employees To Be Paid A "Salary" If Certain Requirements Are MetLabor & Employment Law Blog, 05.17.2011
- Court of Appeal Holds Employer Does Not Violate FEHA By Terminating Bipolar Employee Who Violated Employer's Policy Against Making Threats Of Violence Against Co-WorkersLabor & Employment Law Blog, 04.19.2011
- Employers Can Be Held Liable For Violating Uniformed Services and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 Based On Discriminatory Animus of Non-Decision Making SupervisorsLabor & Employment Law Blog, 03.31.2011
- Court of Appeal Upholds Explicit Mutual Wage Agreement Doctrine Permitting Non-Exempt Employees To Be Paid A "Salary" If Certain Requirements Are MetLabor & Employment Law Blog, 02.15.2011
- Court of Appeal Issues Decision Helpful To Employers Defending Against Claims Of Harassment And Similar ClaimsLabor & Employment Law Blog, 01.15.2011
- Labor & Employment Law Blog, 12.11.2010
- California Supreme Court Holds That "Kin Care" Paid Leave Statute Does Not Apply To Leave Policies That Allow An Unlimited Number Of Paid Days OffLabor & Employment Law Blog, 02.19.2010
Community & Professional
- IAPP/KnowledgeNet LA, former Co-Chair
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Foundation/LACBA Counsel for Justice, Executive Committee, Past President (2014-15)
- Los Angeles County Superior Court Voluntary Settlement Conference Panel, Member
- Massachusetts Bar Association, Member
- My Friend’s Place, Volunteer
- Pico Rivera Chamber of Commerce, former Member of Board of Directors/Vice President
- Regional Chamber, San Gabriel Valley, Member
- St. Barnabas Senior Services Center, Board Member
- The Park School in Brookline, Class Representative
- Whole Child, former Board Member