Alan Atlas has an extensive and varied background in both public and private sector labor and employment law, with a specialty in representing public agency management in labor relations. He has a wealth of experience representing clients in collective bargaining, as well as in arbitrations and administrative proceedings regarding grievances, disciplinary issues including police administration and Bill of Rights issues, unfair labor practice proceedings, and in fact-finding and interest arbitration hearings in both the public and private sector, including the health care industry. Mr. Atlas has also litigated labor relations matters involving police and general employment relations disputes in both state and federal courts. In addition, he practices education law, specializing in school police issues.
As a negotiator for cities, counties, special districts, schools, community colleges in California and health care institutions in New York City, Mr. Atlas has been successful in reaching agreements with many unions representing police, firefighters, general employees, teachers, faculty, classified employees and health care employees. Mr. Atlas served as Deputy Labor Relations Counsel for the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation, as Labor Counsel for the Metropolitan Hospital Center, and as Personnel Director of a major New York hospital for over 20 years.
News & Publications
Events & Speaking Engagements
Mr. Atlas is an experienced speaker on collective bargaining and other topics related to employment relations. He has lectured before the League of California Cities, the Southern California Personnel Labor Relations Council, the California Public Employers Labor Relations Association (CALPELRA), and the Association of California Water Agencies (ACWA). He leads a number of employment relations workshops for the firm throughout California.
Alerts & Articles
- Police Cameras Promote Transparency, If You Can Access Them (Daily Journal, August 2016)
- California Supreme Court Rules Administrative Hearing Officers Have Authority to Order Production of Confidential Peace Officer Personnel Records (December 2014)
- Los Angeles Unified to Ease Policing Scheme (August 2014)
- Court of Appeal Holds that Hearing Officer Has Authority to Grant Pitchess Motion (October 2012)
- California Court of Appeal Upholds Limited Waiver of POBRA Protections (October 2011)
- EdLawConnect Blog, 07.14.2016
- EdLawConnect Blog, 08.21.2014
Community & Professional
- American Bar Association, Member
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Member