Jonathan Andrews advises and represents employers in all aspects of labor and employment law, including harassment, discrimination, retaliation, wage and hour, breach of contract, and employee mobility/trade secret litigation and counseling. Mr. Andrews represents clients in state and federal court as well as matters before administrative agencies, such as the California Labor Commissioner, the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Mr. Andrews’ peers have consistently selected him as one of the Top 50 Super Lawyers in San Diego and voted to include him on the lists of San Diego Super Lawyers in the area of labor and employment from 2009 through 2021. Mr. Andrews has also been named a Top Attorney by the San Diego Daily Transcript in the area of labor and employment law. Previously, Mr. Andrews has been named to San Diego’s 40 under 40 honor roll by the San Diego Metropolitan.
Mr. Andrews was also selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the practice area of Employment Law – Management in 2016-2021.
Mr. Andrews is a graduate of the University of Michigan Law School where he served as Executive Note Editor for the Michigan Journal of Race & Law and was a member of the Child Advocacy, Domestic Violence, and Asylum/Refugee Clinical Programs. He received a B.A. in Political Science from Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota. He was a member of Phi Alpha Theta (National History Honor Society) and Pi Sigma Alpha (National Political Science Honor Society).
Mr. Andrews is a past recipient of the Wiley W. Manuel Pro Bono Services Award for services performed for the San Diego Legal Aid Society. He has been a proud member of the San Diego County Big Brother/Little Brother program for over 15 years and is a current member of the Big Brothers Big Sisters of San Diego (BBBS) County Board of Directors. On October 10, 2020, BBBS honored Mr. Andrews and his wife, Dawn, as the 2020 Big Champions.
Mr. Andrews serves as a panel mediator for the California Department of Fair Employment & Housing, and he received his L.L.M in Dispute Resolution with a concentration in mediation from the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine University School of Law - one of the world's leading educational programs in the field of dispute resolution. Mr. Andrews serves on the San Diego Superior Court and Orange County Superior Court Civil Mediation Panels, and he is a Panel Mediator and Arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association.
Honors & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers in America
- Top 50 Lawyers in San Diego, Super Lawyers®
- Super Lawyers of San Diego, Super Lawyers® (area of labor and employment, 2009 – 2021)
- Top Attorney by the San Diego Daily Transcript (area of labor and employment law)
- 40 under 40, San Diego Metro Magazine
- This prestigious award recognizes the business accomplishments and community contributions of San Diego’s brightest young business professionals, entrepreneurs, and civic leaders, all of whom are under 40 years of age
- The Best Lawyers in America© (practice area of Employment Law – Management, 2016-2021)
- Wiley W. Manuel Pro Bono Services Award for services performed for the San Diego Legal Aid Society (past recipient)
News & Publications
- Twelve Atkinson, Andelson, Loya, Ruud & Romo Attorneys Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 202208.19.2021
- Dawn and Jonathan Andrews to be Honored as Change Maker by Big Brothers Big Sisters of San Diego CountyBig Brother Big Sisters of San Diego County, 08.19.2021
Events & Speaking Engagements
- AIG D&O/EPL Trends, Underwriting Strategy & Innovation, November 7, 2018.
- Preparing For Mediation, November 5, 2018.
- Labor Board And Employee Handbook BINGO: How The New NLRB Is Making Life A Little Less Complicated, NAMWOLF 2018 Annual Meeting & Law Firm Expo, September 27, 2018.
- Preventative Harassment Training, Seaspine, April 3, 2018.
- Diversity & Inclusion: A Training, Big Brothers Big Sisters of San Diego County, March 15, 2018.
- Preventative Harassment Training, DMSD Restaurants, Inc., January 31, February 1, 2018.
- Arbitration Pros and Cons, Tokio Marine HCC, December 6, 2017.
- Getting to the Bottom of It: A Primer on How to Conduce Workplace Investigations Legally and Effectively, Seaspine, September 25, 2017.
- Elimination of Bias: Implicit Bias, CMCP/Kaiser Permanente MCLE Program, January 14, 2016.
- Lifecycle of a Federal EEO Complaint, United States Office of Special Counsel Mediator’s Meeting, June 4, 2015.
- California EPL 2015, AIG, April 17, 2015.
- Are You in Compliance? Tips to Avoid Wage Claims and the Associated Hefty Penalties, ACCA-SD Brown Bag Lunch, July 10, 2014.
- Managing Ill, Injured and Disabled Employees, ACCA-SD Brown Bag Lunch, June 24, 2013.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Methods & Strategies for Employment Cases, Chartis Insurance, December 5, 2011.
- Defending Disability Claims, Chartis Insurance, October 11, 2010.
- Affirmative Action Plan Legal and Regulatory Updates, San Diego Gas & Electric Affirmative Action Plan Kick-Off Meeting, March 25, 2009.
- Interview Best Practices/Employee Termination, Association of Public Treasurers, August 12, 2007.
- Basic Personnel Law, An Overview of Federal and State Employment Laws, Greater San Diego Employers Association, February 17, 2005.
- California Trade Secrets Law & Practice, Lorman Education Services, June 3, 2004.
Alerts & Articles
Community & Professional
- Orange County Superior Court, Civil Mediator
- San Diego County Superior Court Civil Mediation, Panel Member
- American Arbitration Association, Mediation and Arbitration, Panel Member
- Board of Directors Big Brothers Big Sisters San Diego Count