Damian Martinez is an experienced litigator who has represented clients – ranging from large multi-national corporations to individual entrepreneurs. Mr. Martinez frequently represents corporate clients in complex litigation proceedings and internal investigations. He also regularly represents individuals subject to criminal investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice and the Los Angeles County District Attorney.
Mr. Martinez served as a federal prosecutor in Los Angeles from 2001 to 2006, where he tried multiple cases to verdict, handled appeals before the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and conducted grand jury investigations. Prior to serving as a prosecutor, Mr. Martinez clerked for U.S. District Judge Carlos R. Moreno (Ret.) of the Central District of California.
Honors & Recognitions
- Super Lawyers
- AV® Peer Rating from Martindale-Hubbel
- Represented a multinational corporation in a wrongful death trial. Following 12-days of trial, the jury returned a unanimous defense verdict in favor of Mr. Martinez’s client. That verdict was ranked by Courtroom View Network as the third most impressive verdict of 2017.
- Served as lead attorney for a Fortune 100 company in a malpractice claim against a national law firm. The matter settled precomplaint on favorable terms.
- Represented the founders of a biotech in a “founder dispute” that successfully resolved before commencement of litigation.
- Represented a biotech startup in a JAMS arbitration that successfully resolved on terms favorable to the company.
- Represented a Los Angeles entrepreneur in a contract dispute. Successfully vacated a default judgment against his client and then filed counterclaims. After discovery closed, the case settled on favorable terms, with money being paid to the client.
- Conducted an internal investigation on behalf of a public company. During the investigation, interviewed over 15 witnesses in Spanish and reviewed Spanish-language communications. At the conclusion of the investigation, published findings to the senior officers of the company.
- Served as lead attorney for a high-tech startup in an internal investigation. At the conclusion of the investigation, made recommendations to the senior officers of the company on means to improve corporate policy.
- Represented the senior most officer of a capacitor manufacturer in a price fixing investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Represented the general counsel of a telecom company in a qui tam action prosecuted civilly by the Manhattan U.S. Attorney’s Office.
- Represented a public employee in a District Attorney investigation into grade inflation in public schools.
Community & Professional
Mr. Martinez is a native of Los Angeles County and he is an active member of his community. He has served as a board member and board president of the Los Angeles Center for Law and Justice, an organization dedicated to providing legal representation to victims of domestic violence at no charge. He also serves as a member of the MALDEF scholarship committee.